The Gujarat government has virtually rejected the demand of Hardik Patel and three others that they would end their hunger strike only if Chief Minister Anandiben Patel personally comes to the protest venue, saying it has nothing to do in that regard.
Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti convenor Patel said that unless Anandiben Patel gives a positive indication about reservation to Patels after she accepts the memorandum from them, the hunger strike will continue.
“I, along with three of our members, are on a hunger strike. We will end our hunger strike only after the chief minister personally comes here to accept our memorandum. Our strike will not end till she accepts our demand,” Hardik Patel told reporters after the rally.
“We expect the Gujarat chief minister to come here in two days. Nikhil Savani is on indefinite hunger strike while me and two others will be here for 48 hours. We will announce our future course of action after that,” Hardik Patel said.
In his reaction, Gujarat Health Minister Nitin Patel, who heads the seven-member committee formed by the Gujarat government to listen to the demands of communities agitating for job reservation quota, said the state government did not have to say anything about the ultimatum.
“Let them sit on hunger strike. The Gujarat government does not have to do anything in that regard,” Patel, who is also the spokesperson of the Gujarat government, said.
Earlier in the morning, the Patel community rally at GMDC ground began like Hardik Patel had originally announced on Monday.
However, during his speech, he suddenly changed his plans and began a hunger strike, demanding that the Gujarat chief minister should come to the venue to accept their memorandum.