Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be visiting Naya Raipur, Chattisgarh today to mark the state’s 16th foundation day.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be visiting Naya Raipur, Chattisgarh today to mark the state’s 16th foundation day. PM Modi will be launching ‘Saur Sujala Yojana’, which aims to provide solar pumps to 51,000 farmers for irrigation in Chhattisgarh. A multi-layered security blanket has been thrown over the city. The upcoming new capital of Chhattisgarh also holds the honour of being the first ‘new city’ of the 21st century, and is being built as a planned city along the lines of Jamshedpur, Bhubaneshwar, Gandhinagar, Chandigarh and Navi Mumbai. Here are some quick facts about Naya Raipur:
1) According to the official website of Naya Raipur, the city is described as an ultramodern ‘green and smart city’, which would provide all ‘modern amenities’ to its residents.
2) Three new lakes that are being developed will offer theme parks, which could benefit tourism of Naya Raipur and also serve as recreation and leisure spots for residents. The official website also claims that gardens and playgrounds will be spread across the city and will be linked together via a pedestrian corridor.
3) The development of Naya Raipur as a smart city was envisioned in the Naya Raipur Development Plan 2031, which was sanctioned in 2008. It divides the city into 40 sectors out of which 21 are residential sectors. Planning and development will be undertaken by the Naya Raipur Development Authority (NRDA).
4) The overall plan of Naya Raipur is based on creating a healthy and eco-friendly environment with a ‘state-of-the-vibrant-art infrastructure’. It is also believed that the new city will be integrated with the existing landscape, which aims at promoting a modern lifestyle with foundation in ‘traditional values’.
5) Naya Raipur is also being developed as an educational and service sector hub with plans to bring up several colleges. IIIT, National Law University, ITM University, Kalinga University among other major schools are currently operational.
6) A Central Business District Office Complex is also developed as a commercial city centre. IT hubs are also being developed. There are also plans to develop the health infrastructure of the city, with an aim of turning it into a health hub. An international cricket stadium, with a seating capacity of 50,000, is also in the works.
7) Among other features of Naya Raipur, it claims to provide that round the clock water supply, which will be undertaken on a PPP model. Also, 75.20 km of roads have already been constructed, while 61 km are under construction.
8) An underground power distribution system is also being developed for electricity supply. Premium residential sector are within the proximity of NRDA’s green corridors. 27 percent of the total city area is reserved as a green area, with nearly 5 lakh plants already. Also, 797 acres of land has been set aside for the development of Jungle Safari.
9) Naya Raipur is India’s sixth planned city after Jamshedpur (Jharkhand), Bhubaneshwar (Odisha), Gandhinagar (Gujarat), Chandigarh (Punjab & Haryana), and Navi Mumbai (Maharashtra) and fourth among the capital cities. The city is expected to house about 4.5 lakh (450,000) people within a decade. Provisions have been made for its expansion and to upgrade infrastructure in the future.
10) Naya Raipur would reflect the rich heritage and culture of Chhattisgarh and India, in its urban design and architecture. Special efforts would be taken to make it a people friendly and visitor friendly city