Modi govt Cabinet reshuffle: Big changes have been made in the ministerial portfolios as a part of Cabinet rejig.
A major Cabinet reshuffle has taken place in the Modi government. According to multiple media reports, following big changes have been made in the ministerial portfolios as a part of Cabinet rejig:-
– Piyush Goyal has got additional charge of Finance Ministry
– Goyal to handle Finance Ministry till Arun Jaitley recovers
– Smriti Irani removed from I&B Ministry
– Rajyavardhan Rathore made I&B Ministry in-charge
– Smriti Irani will now handle only Textiles Ministry
– SS Ahluwalia appointed MoS Electronics
Also, a press communique from Rashtrapati Bhavan has confirmed the following details:-
– During the period of indisposition of Arun Jaitley, Minister; the portfolios of Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs held by him, be temporarily assigned to Piyush Goyal, in addition to his existing portfolios.
– Col. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore be assigned the independent charge as Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, in place of Smriti Zubin Irani, presently Minister of Information and Broadcasting.
– S.S. Ahluwalia, Minister of State be relieved of the charge of Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation and assigned the portfolio of Ministry of State in the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology.
– Alphons Kannanthanam, Minister of State be relieved of the charge of Minister of State in the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology.
Smriti Irani’s nearly one-year tenure in the I and B Ministry was mired in controversies. This is the second time that Irani has been removed from a key ministry as she was earlier shifted out of the HRD Ministry to the relatively low-profile Textile Ministry.
The I and B Ministry had issued an order last month with provisions of punishing journalists found involved in generating fake news. The order was widely criticised by a large section of the media which called it a brazen attempt to curb press freedom. It was later withdrawn on the directive of Prime Minister Modi.
Earlier in the day, PM Narendra Modi had spoken with Arun Jaitley, hours before the finance minister underwent a kidney transplant at AIIMS this morning. Government sources said Modi was in touch with Jaitley’s family to get updates on his health throughout the day on Monday. Jaitley underwent a successful kidney transplant surgery at AIIMS this morning. “The surgery has been successful. Both the recipient and the donor are stable and recovering well,” a statement from Aarti Vij, the head of the media and protocol division of the AIIMS, said. Jaitley has been unwell for a while and was undergoing treatment at AIIMS.