Manila casino attack: At least 36 people were killed after a botched robbery attempt by gunman at Resorts World Manila casino in Philippines.
Manila casino attack: At least 36 people were killed after a botched robbery attempt by gunman at Resorts World Manila casino in Philippines. The gunman barged into the casino and fired shots and set gaming tables alight, according to reports. US President Donald Trump has described the incident as terrorist attack and said the Washington was monitoring the situation. Police trucks, several huge Special Action Force vans and armoured personnel carriers were deployed.
Here are the developments
Watch this video
The body of the suspected gunman was found. Authorities have said they suspected the man was trying to rob the casino.
Resorts World Manila, which is a complex of hotels, restaurants, stores and gambling area, situated near to Ninoy Aquino International Airport and an air force base.
However, a spokesman for President Rodrigo Duterte has said that there was no evidence linking the attack at the Resorts World Manila entertainment complex to fighting between government troops and Islamist militants.
Police said that most of the victims died of suffocation. Those that died were in the casino’s main gaming area. What caused their deaths is the thick smoke,” Manila Police chief Oscar Albayalde told reporters.
A Resorts World Manila official said the dead included 13 employees and 22 guests. Resort owner Travellers International Hotel Group Inc , a joint venture of the Philippines’ Alliance Global Group Inc and Genting Hong Kong Ltd, said authorities were still seeking details. Notably, its shares were down 7 percent, according to Reuters report.
Police said that they were looking into a robbery angle because the gunman did not hurt any people and went straight to the casino chips storage room. 113 million Philippine pesos ($2.27 million) worth of casino chips stolen during the raid had been recovered, Police said, according to report.
Notably, The Philippines has been on heightened alert amid a crisis in the south of the country, where troops have been battling Islamist rebels since May 23. Duterte declared martial law on the southern island of Mindanao last week and has warned it could become a haven for supporters fleeing Iraq and Syria.