After spending 9 years in jail, 2008 Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit was granted bail by the Supreme Court on Monday.
After spending 9 years in jail, 2008 Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit was granted bail by the Supreme Court on Monday. The apex court set aside the Bombay High Court’s earlier order and granted bail to the 2008 Malegaon blast accused Lt Col Purohit. A bench of Justices RK Agrawal and AM Sapre will pass an order on the plea. Earlier on August 17, the apex court reserved its order on the bail plea of Lieutenant Colonel Purohit. Here are things you may not know about the Lt Col Purohit:-
– His full name is Shrikant Prasad Purohit
– Lieutenant Colonel Shrikant Prasad Purohit had served as a military intelligence officer
– Lieutenant Colonel Purohit is one of the accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts along with Sadhvi Pragya and others. Sadhvi Pragya has been granted relief in the case by the Bombay High Court.
– Lieutenant Colonel Purohit had moved the apex court challenging the Bombay High Court’s order dismissing his bail plea
Why Supreme Court granted him bail and what happened in the courtroom?
– The Supreme Court said, “We set aside order of Bombay High court,” while granting conditional bail to Malegaon blast accused Lt Colonel Purohit.
-The apex court said it has imposed certain conditions on Purohit while granting bail.
– Senior lawyer, Harish Salve, appearing for Lieutenant Colonel Purohit told the court that he did not want to be discharged from the case at present, but for the interest of justice, wanted an interim bail.
– Salve told the apex court that Lieutenant Colonel Purohit was allegedly caught in the political crossfire and was falsely implicated in the case.
Seven people were killed in a bomb blast on September 29, 2008, at Malegaon, a communally-sensitive textile town in Nasik district of north Maharashtra, as per a report in PTI.
A special MCOCA (Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act) court had earlier ruled that the Anti-Terrorist Squad had wrongly applied this law against Thakur, Purohit and nine others.
The 4,000-page charge sheet had alleged that Malegaon was selected as the blast target because of a sizeable Muslim population there. It had named Thakur, Purohit and co-accused, Swami Dayanand Pandey as the key conspirators.
It had alleged it was Pandey who had instructed Purohit to arrange explosive RDX, while Thakur owned the motorcycle which was used in the blast.
Ajay Rahirkar, another accused, allegedly organised funds for the terror act, while conspiracy meetings were held at Bhonsala Military School in Nasik, it had said.
Rakesh Dhawde, Ramesh Upadhyay, Shyamlal Sahu, Shivnarain Kalsangra, Sudhakar Chaturvedi, Jagdish Mhatre and Sameer Kulkarni were the other accused.