Indian Railways has developed the first-ever air-conditioned coach (car) for its DEMU trains, according to a Ministry of Railways press release.
Pushing for ‘Make in India’ and its drive for modernisation, Indian Railways has developed the first-ever air-conditioned coach (car) for its DEMU trains, according to a Ministry of Railways press release.
“The first ever AC coach has been manufactured at Indian Railways’ Chennai-based Integral Coach Factory (ICF). Till now the existing DEMU trains consisted only of non-air-conditioned coaches,” the release said.
Indian Railways presently runs three type of DEMU trains namely: 6-coach DEMU train with 700 hp, 8-coach DEMU train with 1400 hp and 10-coach DEMU train with 1600 hp.
What’s special about the coach? What facilities will it provide? We take a look:
1) The existing 8-coach DEMU train will now have two such newly developed AC coaches.
2) These air-conditioned coaches are provided with 5 comfortable reclining cushioned chairs arranged in each row (2*3 configuration).
DEMU train AC coach – Interior
3) The total capacity of each coach is to seat 73 passengers.
4) The interior furnishing of these AC coaches is similar to that of intercity AC express train coaches.
5) All AC coaches are equipped with environment-friendly bio-toilets.
DEMU AC coach bio-toilets
Such DEMU trains will be rolled out for passenger services shortly. ICF plans to roll out 4 DEMU train sets, each provided with two AC coaches. Further manufacturing of these trains will be based on the feedback from users.