Major catch! Special Cell of Delhi Police, Gujarat ATS detain suspected LeT terrorist involved in 2000 Red Fort attack

By: |
New Delhi | Updated: Jan 10, 2018 10:45 PM

The suspected militant is being under probe now. On 22 December 2000, a terrorist attack took place on Red Fort in Delhi, India.

Red Fort, Red Fort attack, LeT, Delhi Police, Gujarat ATS, 2000 Red Fort attackMajor catch! Special Cell of Delhi Police, Gujarat ATS detain suspected LeT terrorist involved in 2000 Red Fort attack

In a joint operation, Special Cell of Delhi Police and Gujarat ATS detained a suspected LeT terrorist at Delhi airport today for alleged role in a terror attack on Red Fort back in 2000, reports ANI. The suspected militant is being under probe now. The detained person is a 37-year-old and is a suspected LeT terrorist named Bilal Ahmed Kawa who was arrested by security agencies from Delhi Airport around 6 pm for alleged involvement in the terror attack on Red Fort in the year 2000. On 22 December 2000, a terrorist attack took place on Red Fort in Delhi, India. It was carried out by Pakistani terrorist group Lashkar-e-Toiba. It killed two soldiers and one civilian, in what was described in the media as an attempt to derail the India-Pakistan peace talks.

Two Lashkar-e-Taiba militants began firing around 9 pm and gunned down three army Jawans belonging to the 7th Rajputana Rifles at Red Fort. The intruders received returning fire from the Quick Reaction Team of the battalion. All the intruders escaped the Red Fort by scaling over the boundary wall on the rear side of the complex. A total of three soldiers lost their lives as a result of the attack. Abdullah Thakur, a civilian sentry, Rifleman Uma Shankar, and Naik Ashok Kumar were the casualties of the event. Naik Ashok Kumar succumbed to his injuries hours after the event occurred in a Delhi hospital. The attack was conducted by a Lashkar-e-Taiba militants. The Indian courts convicted six others in October 2005, with sentences of a variety of lengths. In September 2007, due to the lack of evidence, the six other assailants were released. The Pakistan-based militant group, Lashkar-e-Taiba, took responsibility for the attacks.

According to a report in The Hindu, the prime accused, Ashfaq Ahmed, set up his base in India and opened a computer centre in Gaffur market. He then contacted five other terrorists — Abu Samal, Abu Sadd, Abu Sakhar, Billal and Haider, and set them up at a rented house in Delhi’s Batla House area.

According to the report, Ashfaq was later nabbed by the Delhi police based on some notes recovered from behind the Red Fort.

The report added that the terrorists had come to India under the influence of Pakistan’s intelligence wing ISI in 2000. The prime accused Ashfaq Ahmed, lodged at Tihar jail since 2000, came to India and married Rehmana Yousuf Farooqui, a girl of Indian origin. Rehmana was also arrested as she was reportedly in full knowledge of Ashfaq’s plan and assisted him. Another militant was later killed in an encounter on 26 December.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, Check out latest IPO News, Best Performing IPOs, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1Nirav Modi extradition: High security cell at Arthur Road jail could soon be the new address of fugitive diamond merchant
2State Assembly election 2021 full schedule Live: EC to announce polls dates for West Bengal, Tamil Nadu, Assam, Kerala, Puducherry today
3Marriage an institution between biological man and woman, not just union of individuals: Centre tells Delhi High Court