Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit who was granted bail in the 2008 Malegaon blast case today expressed his happiness and said, “Now, want to go back to my two families, first is my service and second is my wife, sons and dogs, according to ANI. He was today taken to a special NIA court for hearing on his discharge application. The NIA court also allowed Purohit to make a call to his wife Aparna Purohit. Yesterday, the Supreme Court observed that there were contradictions in the chargesheets filed by different investigating agencies — ATS and NIA. The top court also said it cannot deny the relief to him merely because “sentiments of community was against him,” as per PTI. Lt.Col Purohit’s lawyer Shrikant Shivade today approached SC for modification of solvency aspect. The apex court allowed cash bail on 2 sureties of 1 lakh each, ANI reported.
The bench said “Liberty of a citizen is undoubtedly important but this is to balance with the security of the community. A balance is required to be maintained between the personal liberty of the accused and the investigational rights of the agency. It must result in minimum interference with the personal liberty of the accused and the right of the agency to investigate the case,” PTI reported.
Yesterday, Shiv Sena welcomed the decision and termed Purohit as a “hero” who fought against terrorists. The party alleged Purohit, who has been in jail for the last nine years, was falsely implicated in the terror case by the UPA government. Earlier on August 17, Purohit told SC that he had been caught in the “political crossfire” for which he spent 9 years in jail. Challenging the Bombay High Court’s order that dismissed his bail plea, Purohit had moved to SC.