Lalu Prasad Yadav has called for a "grand" anti-BJP rally scheduled to be held at Gandhi Maidan in Bihar capital Patna on Sunday.
Lalu Prasad Yadav has called for a “grand” anti-BJP rally scheduled to be held at Gandhi Maidan in Bihar capital Patna on Sunday. The rally is aimed to display the strength of Opposition parties which are struggling to come under one umbrella against Bharatiya Janata Party. The talks of a united opposition picked up the pace soon after Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar called off his ties with Lalu Prasad Yadav’s NDA and joined hands with BJP. Here are 10 must know facts about the rally:
1) Presence of high profile leaders: The rally will feature some of the tallest opposition leaders from the country. Rebel Janata Dal-United leader Sharad Yadav, Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister and Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav, senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad, are likely to be a part of the grand Opposition show.
2) Some early setbacks: RJD suffered early setbacks from BSP Supremo Mayawati and Congress chief Sonia Gandhi. The two stalwarts have already snubbed the rally. While on the other hand, Mayawati denied attending the rally, probably to avert sharing stage with Samajwadi Party chief Akhilesh Yadav, her arch rival in the home state of Uttar Pradesh. The Congress leaders probably hesitated to share stage with Lalu Yadav family, due to the corruption charges they face.
3) Lalu Prasad Yadav has expressed confidence of a huge gathering in the rally. Speaking to IANS, Lalu Prasad Yadav said, “I am sure and certain (of a massive gathering). Where is the question of doubt?. “Thousands of people, my party leaders, workers, supporters, and sympathizers have already started arriving in Patna with drums, traditional music groups to be part of the rally.”
4) Lalu Prasad’s younger son Tejashwi Yadav, who is anchoring the rally for his party, has said that rally will focus on training guns at Nitish Kumar and BJP. Tejashwi, who is Leader of Opposition and former Deputy Chief Minister said: “We will expose Nitish Kumar’s ‘double speak’ and his ‘opportunistic alliance’ with the BJP, in the rally.”
5) An IANS report says that Lalu Prasad’s supporters are flocking Patna in large numbers. People are arriving in the city since Friday night. However, the crowds are likely to increase by Saturday evening with RJD leaders using big and small vehicles and trains to ferry their supporters to the rally.
6) Green Patna: The city of Patna is reported to be “painted green” by RJD workers. Party workers, sporting green caps and holding green flags and banners, have put up hundreds of welcome arches and hoardings in green in and around Patna.
7) ‘Bahubali Tejashwi’: Tejashwi Yadav is likely to become the new face of his party after the rally. Ahead of the rally, Tejashwi Yadav, is getting social media booster. A hashtag – ‘BahubaliTejashwi’ – is trending on Twitter with scores of people, probably the supporters of RJD, expressing their confidence in the young leader.
8) Modi’s aerial survey: The rally will be held a day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s aerial survey of flood-hit areas of Bihar and announced Rs 500 crore as immediate relief for the state besides Rs 2 lakh each to the kin of those who died in the deluge. The prime minister said a central team would be sent to the state soon to assess the damage caused by the floods, PTI quoting PMO reports.