The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) inspected the crime scene at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital, where a trainee doctor was allegedly raped and murdered on August 9. The CBI examined the hospital’s emergency building, boys’ hostel, and the principal’s office as part of their investigation on Sunday.

West Bengal Minister and Trinamool Congress leader Chandrima Bhattacharya urged the CBI to build a strong case to ensure the “rapist is hanged.” Earlier, on August 29, the CBI visited the police morgue at RG Kar Medical College for further investigation.

As part of the probe, the CBI conducted a second polygraph test on former RG Kar Medical College principal Sandip Ghosh. A polygraph test was also administered to the arrested suspect, Sanjay Roy. The Indian Medical Association (IMA) has since suspended Dr Sandip Ghosh’s membership amid the ongoing investigation.

The alleged sexual assault and murder have triggered widespread outrage across the country. The case was transferred to the CBI from Kolkata police following a directive from the Calcutta High Court.

Night-long sit-in held in Kolkata

A night-long sit-in was held in central Kolkata until 4 am on Monday (August 2) by participants of a mega rally, including prominent film personalities and rights activists, demanding justice for a doctor who was allegedly raped and murdered at a hospital last month.

Thousands of people participated in the Sunday protest march, culminating in a sit-in at the Esplanade area in central Kolkata. The protesters vowed to remain there until Monday morning, pressing the government for a swift investigation into the heinous crime and the arrest of those responsible, reports PTI.

Sunday night’s protest was reminiscent of the “Women reclaim the night” event held on August 14 at midnight, which also demanded justice for the postgraduate trainee doctor.

“We gave the administration a 4 am deadline to address our demands… But we received no response from any state department, including police, health, and women and child welfare,” said film director Birsa Dasgupta.

At the start of the dharna, separate emails were sent to these departments, urging them to send representatives to listen to the grievances. “Not a single state representative responded or turned up at the venue,” Dasgupta added.

Actor Sohini Sarkar, among the rally participants, said they would discuss how to carry forward the movement after the 4 am deadline expired. “We will not dismantle the stage erected for the sit-in,” she affirmed.

Actor Swastika Mukherjee, a leading figure in the protest, demanded “azadi from abuse” and called for strict punishment for convicted rapists. “Our protests will become stronger from now and will continue. There will be some relaxation during Durga Puja as so many poor people are dependent on this festival,” Mukherjee said.

She also emphasised the importance of arresting everyone involved in the RG Kar case for the safety of all women.

The body of the postgraduate trainee doctor was found in the seminar hall of the RG Kar Medical College and Hospital on August 9. A civic volunteer has been arrested in connection with the alleged rape and murder of the medic. The incident has sparked nationwide outrage, and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) is currently probing the matter under the direction of the Calcutta High Court.