Rejecting Gujarat government's decision to form an SIT to probe the 2012 Thangadh police firing case, the families of the three Dalit youths killed in the incident today demanded a CBI inquiry.
Rejecting Gujarat government’s decision to form an SIT to probe the 2012 Thangadh police firing case, the families of the three Dalit youths killed in the incident today demanded a CBI inquiry.
To protest against the government decision, the family members took part in a rally at Gandhinagar, organised under the banner of ‘Scheduled Castes Ekta Manch’.
They also announced that their sit-in agitation will continue at Satyagrah Chhavni area of Gandhinagar city until they “get justice”.
Talking to reporters before the rally, Manju Parmar, whose son Prakash was killed in the firing, said she has no faith in the SIT.
“We have no faith in the government-formed SIT. We want the CBI to investigate the whole case and book all those policemen involved in the firing. I believe that announcement of forming an SIT is just an eyewash by the government,” said Parmar.
On the intervening night of September 22-23, 2012, three Dalit youths– Pankaj Sumra, Prakash Parmar and Mehul Rathod– were killed when police opened fire to disperse a mob during a clash between Dalits and OBC Bharwad community members at Thangadh town in Surendranagar district.
Mehul’s mother Jayshreeben Rathod said she will take the fight to Delhi if they do not get justice.
Jayshreeben’s husband Valjibhai Rathod along with some other dalits of Thangadh have been on an indefinite hunger strike at Gandhinagar since last three weeks.
According to Jayshreeben, the hunger strike will continue despite government’s assurance.
“The formation of SIT is not enough. We want CBI to investigate the case. We don’t want government’s sympathy. If we don’t get justice, all the dalits will march to Delhi. We would rather die, but will not go back to Thangadh without getting justice for our sons,” said Jayshreeben.
Earlier yesterday, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani decided to constitute a three-member SIT to investigate the incident, which had taken place four years back.
It was also announced that the government would form a special court and appoint a special public prosecutor to expedite the case and announced an additional Rs 2 lakh compensation to the nearest kin of the victims, over and above what was decided earlier.
The State CID investigation into the case remained inconclusive and it filed a closure report. No charge sheet has been filed into the incident so far.