Karnataka government formation: HD Kumaraswamy will today meet Congress president Rahul Gandhi and his mother Sonia Gandhi in the national capital to discuss the modalities of government formation in the southern state.
Karnataka Chief Minister-elect and Janata Dal (Secular) leader HD Kumaraswamy will today meet Congress president Rahul Gandhi and his mother Sonia Gandhi in the national capital to discuss the modalities of government formation in the southern state. Former CM Siddaramaiah, Congress’ state unit president G Parameshwara and senior leader DK Shivakumar are also expected to be part of the negotiations. While the Congress had won 78 seats in the just-concluded assembly polls, the JD(S)+ had emerged as the third single largest party with 38 MLAs. The two had forged a post-poll alliance to keep the BJP out of the power that had won 104 seats in 224-member Assembly.
Kumaraswamy on Sunday had told reporters that the meeting will decide the constitution of the cabinet and the allocation of ministries. He said that MLAs have given him the responsibility of “shaping our participation in the coalition”. “The issue of formation of the cabinet of ministers has not been discussed formally with the Congress leaders. We have only had some informal talks at a personal level. The Congress has its own procedures in these matters,” The Indian Express quoted him as saying.
- India has suffered over 70 years due to colonial era laws, their interpretation: Supreme Court judge PS Narasimha
- Delhi Police intensifies patrolling, deploys extra personnel in view of 'Bharat Bandh' on September 27
- UP Cabinet Expansion: Jitin Prasada, 6 others inducted – check full list of new ministers in Yogi Cabinet and their portfolios
Earlier, Kumaraswamy was slated to take on Many 21 (Monday) but he deferred it by two days on the advice of the Congress as May 21 is ex-PM Rajiv Gandhi’s death anniversary. Kumaraswamy will now take oath on May 23 (Wednesday). Next day, the Speaker will be elected and the date of seeking trust vote will be decided after that.
Karnataka government formation Live Updates:
– Ashok Gehlot, KC Venugopal and I briefed Congress president Rahul Gandhi on recent political developments in Karnataka. When HD Kumaraswamy meets Rahul Gandhi they will decide on further strategy: Ghulam Nabi Azad
– Kumaraswamy arrives in national capital. According to reports, he is expected to meet Rahul Gandhi at 7pm.
– The mandate given by people of Karnataka was against the Congress. There was no confusion about it. If we had not staked claim to form government, it would have been against the mandate of Karnataka people: Amit Shah
– Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, Samajwadi Party national president AkhileshYadav are likely to attend the swearing-in ceremony of Kumaraswamy on May 23. Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu and his Telangana counterpart Chandrashekar Rao are also expected to attend the ceremony.
– Congress MLA BC Patil said that the BJP had offered him a ministerial post if he decides to vote in favour of Yeddyurappa on the floor of the House. He claimed that BS Yeddyurappa, Sriramulu and Muralidhar Rao had called him to discuss the situation.“They (BJP) offered me Minister post & all, it’s a fact. I don’t know about Hebbar (Congress MLA Shivaram Hebbar who reportedly claimed that Congress lied about bribe tape), I can talk about myself.”
– Who told you? This is all bogus & fake news. This is not true: Kumaraswamy on reports of resentment within Congress over alliance with JD(S)
– Congress leader DK Shivakumar tells ANI that Congress president Rahul Gandhi has taken decision that there should be a secular government. “That’s what the entire country needs and that’s why we have taken this stand. I had to swallow all this bitterness, this is my duty.”
– According to PTI, Kumaraswamy has dismissed reports suggesting that the JD(S) was working on power-sharing formula of heading the government for 30 months each with the Congress. “No such talks have taken place,” Kumaraswamy said.
– The Indian Express quoting sources in the JD(S) said that the party will recommend Parameswhara’s candidature for the post of Deputy CM. Parameswhara is a Dalit leader. He had defeated PR Sudhakar Lal of JD(S) by a margin of 7,619 votes in the recently held assembly polls.
– On Rajinikanth’s remark asking Karnataka to release Cauvery river water, CM-elect HD Kumaraswamy told ANI that he has invited the actor-turned-politician to visit the state to take fist hand stock of the situation. “I have invited Rajinikanth to come here and look at the condition of our reservoirs, water is not sufficient. I am sure he will understand,” he said.
– The Indian Express says that Congress’ state unit president G Parameshwara while replying to a question on participation of the Congress in the new government, said that the party high command will decide on all aspect of the Congress part of the ministry including the post of Deputy CM. He said that the high leadership will finalise these things on Monday. Parameshwara said that there was a proposal to appoint two Dy CMs from the Congress. The IE report said that one from Dalit community and another one from the Lingayat as an effort to balance some of the caste equations in the state.
Karnataka Chief Minister-designate HD Kumaraswamy offered prayers at Lakshmi Narasimha Temple in Hassan. pic.twitter.com/wn63nmIrua
— ANI (@ANI) May 21, 2018
On Saturday, Kumaraswamy had staked the claim to form a government with support from the Congress. The came immediately after BJP strongman BS Yeddyurappa announced to resign as the CM of the state. The Congress and JD(S)+ have 116 MLAs in 224-member Assembly.