A sea of crowd emerged at Chennai’s Rajaji Memorial where Jayalalithaa’s mortal remains have been kept for last tributes. Similar gathering is expected at the funeral ceremony scheduled to be held today at city’s Marina Beach at 4.30 am. With huge gathering, top politicians, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, President Pranab Mukherjee, Congress VP Rahul Gandhi are expected to attend the ceremony. Amma’s will be cremated next to the memorial site of her mentor and former chief minister MG Ramachandran. Following her sad demise, Tamil Nadu government has declared a seven-day mourning period beginning Today. Markets, Schools, colleges, offices and businesses have been ordered to remain closed during this period. The central government has also declared a one day mourning. Catch this space for top 10 developments on Amma’s funeral:
1) The Latest: Former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, who breathed her last on Monday night, was on Tuesday cremated at Chennai’s Marina Beach with full state honours.
2) Full State Honours being performed at Marina Beach. Amma’s body is placed in a sandalwood casket with “Puratchithalaivi Selvi J Jayalalithaa” engraved on it. Rahul Gandhi, President Pranab Mukherjee, DMK Leader MK Stalin pay floral tributes to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Memorial.
3) Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid floral tributes to Jayalalithaa at Rajaji Hall, Chennai. Her mortal remains have been kept here. Amma’s body will be taken to Chennai Marina beach soon. Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi will visit the venue to pay homeage shortly. Cine stars, politicians are offering their tributes to Amma here.
4) A seven day mournning has been declared in Tamil Nadu. While the Centre has also declared a mourning of three days. The neighbouring union territory of Puducherry has also announced a holiday for all government offices and educational institutions tomorrow. Flags were flown half-past at President House, several other government institutuions this morning.
5) Following the news of Amma’s demise, politicians from across the country took to social media to pay homage to the leader. “Deeply saddened at the passing away of Selvi Jayalalithaa. Her demise has left a huge void in Indian politics. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Tamil Nadu in this hour of grief. I will always cherish the innumerable occasions when I had the opportunity to interact with Jayalalithaa ji. May her soul rest in peace,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a series of tweets. “She was a towering figure in our national and political life, who won admiration across the political spectrum for the intrepid spirit with which she faced the ups and downs of her life in politics, for her commitment to the people of her state, and her dedication to the honour of India. I am deeply grieved to learn of the passing away of Selvi J Jayalalithaa,” said Gandhi in a statement.
6) People have already started thronging Marina Beach, while heavy preparations and security arrangements are underway for Amam’s funeral ceremony.
7) Heavy security has been deployed Marina Beach, Chennai. No law and order situation has been seen so far in the state. On Monday, 75% of the police staff was ordered to remain on duty till the issueance of any further notification.
8) O Panneerselvam, who served as the Chief Minister on two previous ocassions when Jaya had to step down, took oath as the new Chief Minister. He broke down on stage.
9) A distressed Tamil Nadu mourned Jaya’s death as people took to streets with Jaya’s picture in their hands. Government institutions were immediatedly closed.
10) Tamil Nadu CM, Jayalalithaa who was hospitalised on 22nd of September passed away on Monday following a cardiac arrest a day before. A massive crowd gathered outside Apollo Hospital after reports Tamil Nadu CM’s deteriorating health surfaced.