Would you believe if we tell you that both politics and acting didn't come as a result of choice for the former Tamil Nadu CM.
Entire nation is mourning the sad demise of Tamil Nadu’s Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, popularly known as ‘Amma’, who breathed last late Monday night. Jaya is known to the world as leader of masses and charismatic actress, who literally ruled the hearts of people till she breathed her last. But would you believe if we tell you that both politics and acting didn’t come as a result of choice for the Tamil Nadu CM. That’s true! Jaya was forced into acting by her mother at the age of 15, while she joined politics at will of her mentor and co-actor MGR, who also served as the CM of the state thrice. Here are 10 unknown facts about leader’s life:
1. Jayalalithaa was forced to join the Tamil Film industry by her actress mother Sandhya (Real Name-Vedavathi) at the age of 15. She was still a student and a state level topper when she joined acting.
2. Lowest Salary as CM in Indian History
As a Chief Minister, she only drew Re 1 as salary. Jaya refused to accept her first salary cheque as Chief Minister by saying that she had “abundant source of income and she does not need a salary”. On being told that she should receive a salary as public servant, she accepted a salary of Rs.1/-. The decision made her even more popular among the masses.
3. Her name is in the Guinness Book of World Records, for wrong reasons
Well, despite thousands of good deeds, Amma’s name was one got registered with in Guinness Book of World Records, for some wrong reasons. Amma, in the year 1995, during her first term as Chief Minister, organised a lavish wedding for her ‘foster son’ Sudhagaran. As per Guinness record, over 1,50,000 guests were invited to the wedding at a 50-acre ground in Chennai.
It was reported that the reception featured “a cardboard and papier-mache ‘fort’ that covered an area as big as several football fields. For miles between Jayalalithaa’s official residence and the wedding site, streets were decorated with Grecian statues and gilded lions.
4. As Chief Minister, she once took a ‘snana’ in public
The popular Tamil Nadu CM once attended the mahamakam festival in Kumbakonam, the Kumbh Mela of South India. A huge crowd, trying to catch a glimpse of Amma, gathered at the site, resulting in a stampede, causing 50 deaths.
5. Not Only opposition, a Governor once ‘misbehaved’ with Amma
The world knows the incident when Amma was was nearly disrobed by DMK MLAs in Tamil Nadu Assembly. But what may not be known to many is that when she was Chief Minister in 1992, she accused the then Governor of Tamil Nadu, M. Channa Reddy, of having “misbehaved” with her.
6. Jaya’s first movie was released as an ‘adult only’. As she was only 15, and under aged, she herself couldn’t watch her first movie.
7. As a Tamil actress, she was the first one who dared to wore a sleeveless blouses and got drenched under a waterfall!
8. Jayalalitha is an avid reader and writer of English. She mastered English, Hindi and Tamil languages, she even sang Hindi songs in an interview with popular scribe Simi Grewal.
9. Jaya appeared in 85 Tamil movies. However, she also did one Hindi movie, ‘Izzat’, opposite Dharmendra, which was also a hit. The actor remembered his time the politician.
10. Not only acting, she was also forced into politics by his co-star and mentor MGR, who was the patriarch of DMK. She was made the propaganda secretary and was nominated to Rajya Sabha upon her joing.