After a cloudburst, which triggered a heavy downpour (13.25 cm in just two hours), in Greater Hyderabad, daily life of the citizens there has totally gone out of gear
Hyderabad rains: After a cloudburst, which triggered a heavy downpour (13.25 cm in just two hours), in Greater Hyderabad, daily life of the citizens there has totally gone out of gear. Apart from disturbing the daily life of the citizens of the city, the mayhem left three (including one child) dead. The calamity has put forth massive challenges in front of the city. Adding to the misery are incessant rains, which have flooded the city. According to Skymet Weather, due to a trough extending from Odisha to Kerala across Chhattisgarh and Telangana, moderate rains will continue for another two to three days in the city.
Here are important facts that you should know Hyderabad’s cloudburst:
1. A wall collapse in Singadikunta area in Banjara Hills, left two dead and two injured while one person died of electrocution in the old city.
2. Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) Commissioner B Janardhan Reddy urged people to plan as per the rain updates on the meteorological department website.
3. The downpour led to inundation of several low-lying areas and traffic moved at a snail’s pace due to water-logging at different places in the city.
4. GHMC personnel have started damage-control process by flushing out water and taking up other relief work.
5. Severe waterlogging was reported in many areas of the city including Begumpet, Mojamhani market, Narayanaguda-Liberty route, Padma Colony, Nehru Zoological park, Paigah Colony and Vimannagar Colony.
6. At least 50 per cent of the city lost power supply after the rains.
7. Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao has called it as an emergency situation and urged people not to step out of their homes.