Ivanka Trump at GES 2017: "Thank you, Prime Minister Narendra Modi...for all that you are doing to build India as a thriving economy – a beacon of democracy – and a symbol of hope to the world."
GES 2017 in Hyderabad: US President Donald Trump’s daughter, Ivanka Trump, who is also an official advisor to her father, met Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday at the Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2017 in Hyderabad. Ivanka participated in the inaugural session of the GES this afternoon. Ivanka, who received a thunderous welcome upon taking the dais, said that people of India are an inspiration for the world. She congratulated the women entrepreneurs present at the summit. “Specially want to congratulate women here, I am proud to say that women make up majority here first time,” Ivanka said. She started her address by thanking PM Narendra Modi. “Thank you, Prime Minister Narendra Modi…for all that you are doing to build India as a thriving economy – a beacon of democracy – and a symbol of hope to the world. What you are achieving is truly extraordinary,” Ivanka said. “Through your own enterprise, entrepreneurship, and hard work, the people of India have lifted more than 130 mn citizens out of poverty – a remarkable improvement, and one I know will continue to grow under the leadership of Prime Minister,” she added.
Ivanka also said hailed the strengthening ties between India and US. “This is the first time India has hosted the Global Entrepreneurship Summit. It is a symbol of the strengthened friendship between our two peoples, and the growing economic and security partnership between our two nations,” she said. “It’s wonderful to be in this ancient city (Hyderabad) brimming with transformative technology – now, your tech centres may even outshine your world-famous Biryani,” she said.
“Today, we come together to celebrate what is happening here in #India, what is happening in the United States – and all over the world: entrepreneurs are revolutionizing our economies, and improving our societies. You are rewriting the rules,” she said.
Hailing women power in the world of business
Speaking on the contribution of women in business space, she said: “Some may have tried to convince you that the risk is too great – and the reward too small. But you are here today because you are not afraid to fail. You want to OWN your future… I want to congratulate you on all you have already accomplished.”
“This year’s Summit is focused on a theme that is key to our future: WOMEN FIRST, PROSPERITY FOR ALL. I am proud that for the first time ever, women make up the majority of the 1500 entrepreneurs selected to attend,” Ivanka added. She said that only when women are empowered to thrive; will our families, our economies, and our societies reach their fullest potential.
She also met EAM Sushma Swaraj. MEA said that they had a productive discussion on women entrepreneurship and empowerment.Ivanka is also expected to address a session tomorrow. Earlier, Ivanka arrived in Shamshabad (Hyderabad) Airport here around 3.15 am.
Here are some details of Ivanka Trump’s visit:
– Ivanka is leading a delegation of senior Trump administration officials and entrepreneurs.
– GES 2017 is a three-day event to primarily focus on four thematic sectors — energy and infrastructure; healthcare and life sciences; financial technology and digital economy; and media and entertainment sectors.
– Ivanka and Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman are slated to participate in a panel discussion on opening up of opportunities for women entrepreneurs, Kant had earlier said.
– The theme of the event is ‘Women First, Prosperity for All.’
– In a first, GES will have women in majority (52.5 per cent) as the participants, he said.
– The theme of this year’s summit demonstrates the commitment of the US and the Indian government to the principle that when women are economically empowered, their communities and countries thrive
– Ivanka had earlier said: “The US and India will continue to work together to increase economic opportunities and inclusive growth. I very much look forward to my visit and to seeing Prime Minister Modi and Foreign Minister (Sushma) Swaraj once again.”
– The summit, co-hosted by the US and India, has been termed by Ivanka as “is a testament to the strong friendship” between the two countries.
Watch Live | GEC 2017
– According to the officials, Ivanka is likely to spend some time on sightseeing, including a possible stop at the Charminar during her visit.
– PM Narendra Modi during his visit to the White House in June had invited Ivanka to visit India.