If political and developmental acronyms and alliterations could be monetised, Prime Minister Narendra Modi would have become a millionaire by now.
If political and developmental acronyms and alliterations could be monetised, Prime Minister Narendra Modi would have become a millionaire by now. Ever since he took a plunge in national politics ahead of the General Elections in 2014, PM Modi has been on an acronym-coining spree. While he has saved his best for the Opposition parties, PM Modi has subjected his subjects to over 40 acronyms until now. At this rate, we may soon need a separate NaMo dictionary. Here we take a look at 32 acronyms coined by PM Modi and his government. First, start with the political ones.
2. VIKAS: Vidyut (Electricity), Kanoon (law) and Sadak (Road). PM Modi coined this acronym to give a new meaning of VIKAS (development) while addressing people in Uttar Pradesh.
3. AK-49: Arvind Kejriwal-49. (A reference to AAP convenor Arvind Kejriwal’s 49-day first government in Delhi.
4. ABCD: Adarsh, Bofors, Coal and Damaad (son-in law). PM Modi coined this to define Congress Party in 2014.
5. RSVP: Rahul, Sonia, Vadra, Priyanka.
6. 3 AKs: ‘Admired in Pakistan’ (AK 47, AK Antony and AK-49 (Arvind Kejriwal)
7. SABKA: Saamajwadi Party, Bahujan Samaj Party, and Congress party. He used this term to appeal destruction of SABKA (all the three parties) in 2014.
8. NDA: National Development Alliance. PM Modi used this redefine the National Democratic Alliance led by BJP in 2014.
9. JAM: Jan Dhan-Aadhar-Mobile (For direct cash transfer)
10. SMART: For a “Strict and Sensitive, Modern and Mobile, Alert and Accountable, Reliable and Responsive, Techno savvy and Trained” police force.
11. USTTAD: Upgrading Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/Crafts for Development (for artisans from minority communities)
12. AMRUT: Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation
14. HRIDAY: Heritage Development and Augmentation Yojana.
13. PRAGATI: Pro-Active Governance and Timely Implementation
14. UDAY: Ujjwal DISCOM Assurance Yojana
15. NITI: National Institution for Transforming India
16. ROAD: “Responsibility, Ownership, Accountablity, Discipline”. PM Modi gave this mantra of success at a Made In India workshop.
17. B2B: Bharat to Bhutan. PM Modi used this acronym to codify India-Bhutan relationship during his visit to the country.
18. INCH Towards MILES: India-China towards a Millennium of Exceptional Synergy– (To describe the future of India-China relationship).
19. HIT: Highways, Informationways, Transmissionways. PM Modi expressed his plan to ‘HIT’ Nepal with these facilities.
20. AIM: Atal Innovation Mission.
21. FDI: First Develop India (Mantra of Make in India).
22. Himmat: A mobile application to ensure women’s safety in Delhi.
23. BHIM: Bharat Interface for Money. (Named after Father of Constitution Bhim Rao Ambedkar, this is a mobile app for digital transactions)
24. IT + IT= IT: Indian Talent + Information Technology = India Tomorrow (This is a part of Modi government’s Digital India Initiative)
25. PRASAD: Pilgrimage Rejuvenation and Spirituality Augmentation Drive
26. PAHAL: Pratyaksha Hastaantarit Laabh (Direct benefit transfer) for LPG subsidy.
27. 4 Ps: People Private-Public Partnership for good governance.
28. SETU: Self Employment and Talent Utilisation (Provide support to all aspects of a start-ups from credit to incubation)
29. 3S: Skill, Scale, Speed (This is what India needs to compete with China)
30. SWAYAM: Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds (Free online courses to be offered by IITs, IIMs and central universities)
31. SAMAVAY: Skill Assessment Matrix for Vocational Advancement of Youth (To allow multiple entry and exit options between vocational and formal education courses).
32. MOM: Mars Orbiter Mission. “I was sure Mom won’t disappoint us,” PM Modi said after the success of MOM.