Four Pakistan can be created if India’s 30 per cent Muslims unite, says man identified as TMC leader

By: |
March 26, 2021 10:54 AM

The TMC, however, has distanced itself from the comment, stating that Sheikh Alam, seen in the video, is not a member of the TMC.

4 pakistan sheikh alam tmcSheikh, when approached by reporters, said his words have been misinterpreted.

West Bengal: A video clip, where a local leader, surrounded by people holding a TMC poster, is heard stating “four Pakistan can be created if India’s 30 per cent Muslims unite”, has drawn major flak from the BJP, which sought to know if Bengal’s ruling party endorses such remarks.

The TMC, however, has distanced itself from the comment, stating that Sheikh Alam, seen in the video, is not a member of the TMC, and the party doesn’t support what he said. The 30-second video, apparently shot at Nanoor in Birbhum, has gone viral on social media.

Alam is heard saying in the clip, “We minorities constitute 30% (of the population). The rest make for 70%. They (BJP) think they will come to power (in Bengal) with the help of this 70%. If 30% of minorities unite, if India’s Muslims unite, four Pakistan can be created. Where will India’s 70% go?”

Reacting to the clip, BJP national general secretary and the party’s Bengal minder, Kailash Vijayvargiya, said it exposes the TMC’s real intention.

“This video brings out the truth about the TMC. This is a serious thing. How can someone staying in India claim that he will turn the country into Pakistan? We will never allow this to happen. Mamataji owes a reply to the people of the state and the country,” he said.

Senior BJP leader Amit Malviya, in a tweet, wondered if Banerjee endorses Alam’s stance.

“Yday, TMC leader Sheikh Alam, giving a speech in Basa para, Nanoor, in Birbhum AC said, if 30% Muslims in India come together, then 4 Pakistan can be formed… He obviously owes his allegiance to Mamata Banerjee… Does she endorse this position? Do we want a Bengal like that?” he tweeted.

TMC Birbhum district president Anubrata Mandal, however, quickly clarified that Alam was not a leader of the state’s ruling camp.

“Sheikh Alam is neither a member of the party nor is he a leader from Nanoor. We have no relation with him. We dont support such statements. India is a secular country and will remain so, he said.

Sheikh, when approached by reporters, said his words have been misinterpreted.

I never said we want to build a Pakistan in India. I just wanted to convey that if the Muslims are threatened, then we, too, know how to care of ourselves,” he said.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE, NSE, US Market and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, Check out latest IPO News, Best Performing IPOs, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Financial Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel and stay updated with the latest Biz news and updates.

Next Stories
1State of relationship will reflect state of border: S Jaishankar on ties with China
2This dark-complexioned man doesn’t make false promises: Kejriwal attacks Channi
3Mamata Banerjee to visit Goa on Dec 13, her second tour of this poll-bound state in two months