FM Arun Jaitley took it upon himself to explain some of the pertinent points in the entire episode that shook the Indian financial system to its very core.
It has been almost two weeks now since PM Narendra Modi made the announcement that imposed a ban on Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes and with queues at banks and ATMs still posing a challenge to a populace not really used to standing in the sun in long lines for frustratingly long hours any more, the pain is still very much alive and kicking. The move has brought unpleasant memories of standing in PDS/kerosene queues from way back in the 80s, 90s and the turn of the century vividly back to mind. Looking to bring some kind of solace to the people, FM Arun Jaitley took it upon himself to explain some of the pertinent points in the entire episode that shook the Indian financial system to its very core. FM was speaking at BJP Parliamentary party meet in Delhi. Here are the top points in his demonetisation speech:
1. ‘Ye bohot bada nirnay hai, aur bohot himmat chahiye thi sarkar ko’
2. ‘We are ready for discussion on #DeMonetisation , have said it many times’
3. ‘Notebandi se ghareebi mitane mein madad milegi, ye faisla desh hith mein hai’
4. ‘Poora desh iska swagat kar raha hai, ye ek etihasaik kadam hai’
5. ‘By stopping the ‘normal’ of last 70 years, PM Modi has created a new ‘normal”
6. ‘Some people are saying even FM did not know of this decision, and then they say the party knew beforehand’
7. ‘For next few weeks we are planning to focus on agricultural sector, Rabi season is also coming’
8. ‘Kuch dino ke liye kathnaiyan ho sakti hain, in dino vypaar dheema hai’
9. ‘Digital economy will also get a boost by this decision’.
10. ‘Baby steps must be taken initially to tackle black money’