Doklam standoff: China had deployed over 12,000 soldiers, 150 tanks and artillery guns opposite Sikkim at Phari Dzong in Chumbi Valley during the 73-day faceoff, according to Indian Express report. So far, it was believed that both India and China had deployed a small number of troops, the report said. It was revealed in a book titled as ‘Securing India The Modi Way: Pathankot, Surgical Strikes and More (Bloomsbury)’, written by Nitin A Gokhale. The book talks about Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) images of the site. These images show that the standoff had actually started in the third week of May but it was made public by Beijing on June 26.
Apart from the detailed account of standoff, the book includes extensive quotes from National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, military chiefs and other senior Indian officials on the Narendra Modi government’s approach to security issues. According to report, as the tension escalated, The Indian Army kept a tab on the situation. The army, however, did not deploy the troops close to the border due to the shorter distance, the report says.
The Narendra Modi’s handling of the Doklam standoff had garnered appluase from within the country and international forum.
Watch this video
India is “behaving like a mature power” in the Doklam standoff in the Sikkim section and making China look like an adolescent throwing a tamper tantrum, a top American defence expert had said. Praising India’s behaviour over the matter, James R Holmes, professor of strategy at the prestigious US Naval War College, said, “New Delhi has done things right thus far, neither backing away from the dispute nor replying in kind to Beijing’s over-the-top rhetoric.”