Kaifiyat Express derailment updates: 8 to 10 coaches of Delhi-bound Kaifiyat Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh's Auraiya district in the wee hours of Wednesday.
Kaifiyat Express derailment updates: 8 to 10 coaches of Delhi-bound Kaifiyat Express derailed in Uttar Pradesh’s Auraiya district in the wee hours of Wednesday. Over 70 people were injured, according to Indian Express report. So far there is now news of casualties. This comes days after Puri-Haridwar Kalinga Utkal Express derailed near Khatauli in Uttar Pradesh, in which over 20 people died. Earlier this morning Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu said that he was personally monitoring the situation and had directed senior officials to reach the site immediately. “A dumper hit the locomotive of the Kaifiyat Express,resulting in derailment. Some passengers have received injuries and have been shifted to nearby hospitals,” Prabhu tweeted this morning.
Here are the 10 developments so far
1. The train was traveling from Azamgarh to Delhi. It collided with a dumper at around 2:50 am between Pata and Achhalda railway stations, a spokesperson for the North Central Railway (NCR) said.
2. One bogie of the train overturned due to impact of collision and some compartments jumped the rails between Acchalda and Pata railway stations after crossing Kanpur, Superintendent of Police Auraiya Sanjeev Tyagi said.
3. Kaifiyat Express travels between Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi and the collision has impacted the train operations on the Delhi-Howrah route.
Watch this video
10 coaches of Kaifiyat Express, travelling from Azamgarh to New Delhi, derail near Auraiya in UP; over 40 people reported injured pic.twitter.com/4OUwtosioS
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) August 23, 2017
4. Five trains including Howrah-New Delhi Rajdhani have been diverted and seven trains including Kanpur-New Delhi Shatabdi express have been cancelled. Since both UP and DOWN lines are blocked, around 40 local trains were also being diverted, according to PTI report.
5. NCR sources said that work for a dedicated freight corridor was going on at the accident site at the time of the incident. The dumper did not belong to the railways, the NCR sources said. On receiving information about the mishap, senior officials rushed to the accident site which comes under Acchalda police station, around 180 kilometres from Lucknow.
6. Additional forces and ambulance were rushed to the spot from Auraiya, Etawah and Kannauj, while NDRF team was dispatched from Lucknow to provide support to the victims and has reached the spot. A medical train and a relief train have been dispatched from Allahabad to the accident site.
7. A spokesman for NCR said rescue operations have been concluded and all injured were sent to hospitals nearby. General Manager, NCR, M C Chauhan and the Divisional Regional Manager have rushed to the spot.
8. Accident Relief Train (ART) train placed at the spot for re-railment and railway line will be operational soon, said GK Bansal, NCR Railway CPRO. No passenger suffered serious injuries,for stranded passengers we are sending a train that’ll take them to Delhi, Bansal was as saying by ANI.
9. Take a look at Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu’s tweet
Some passengers have received Injuries and have been shifted to nearby hospitals.I am personally monitoring situation,rescue operations 2/
— Suresh Prabhu (@sureshpprabhu) August 23, 2017
10. Earlier, Anil Saxena, DG PRO, Railways said 10 bogies and engine derailed after colliding with a dumper. No news of deaths, he said.