Rejecting allegation that Dana Majhi was denied a hearse by the authorities forcing him to carry his wife's body on his shoulder for 10 km last month, Odisha government today told the Assembly he had never sought any help before leaving Bhawanipatna district headquarters hospital.
Rejecting allegation that Dana Majhi was denied a hearse by the authorities forcing him to carry his wife’s body on his shoulder for 10 km last month, Odisha government today told the Assembly he had never sought any help before leaving Bhawanipatna district headquarters hospital.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Atanu S Nayak gave this information while replying to a written question by Congress member Prafulla Majhi.
“Holding a contractual staff nurse Rajendra Rana responsible for the incident, the government has dismissed him from the service. Similarly, the security agency guarding the hospital at Bhawanipatna has also been disengaged,” Nayak said.
Majhi had never sought any help or assistance like dead body carrier to any of the hospital staff in the night of August 23, Nayak said quoting the Chief District Medical Office (CDMO), Kalahandi’s report to the government.
In case of poor patient, if approached, transportation arrangement is made from the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund or Rogi Kalyan Samiti or Red Cross fund, he said.
The poor tribal from Melghar village, located 60 km from the Kalahandi district headquarters town of Bhawanipatna, had hogged headlines for carrying his wife’s body on shoulder for 10 km before journalists informed the district authorities and a vehicle was arranged.
Majhi on August 24 had said he carried his wife’s body on shoulder and walked 10 km after the hospital authorities refused to provide any assistance to transport the body.
“The staff nurse at the ward told me to take away the body as she has died. I also knocked the door of the doctor on the hospital premises on August 23 night to inform him about death of my wife. The doctor also told me from behind the door to take away the body,” Dana Majhi had told reporters.
However, the minister said the hospital authorities came to know about the incident next day at 9 AM (on August 24) when the doctor came on ward visit.
“On 24.8.2016 in the morning round when the doctor found the patient absent in the ward, he mentioned in the bed head ticket- left against Medical Advice. He informed the matter to the ADMO (med) Kalahandi on 24.8.2016 at 9 AM. The patient was not declared dead. The patient was given adequate medical treatment and there was no negligence in treatment,” Nayak said quoting the CDMO’s report.