Dahi Handi: Bombay HC accepted Maharashtra government's statement that it would not allow children under the age of 14 years to participate in the 'Dahi Handi' festival.
Dahi Handi: Accepting the Maharashtra government’s statement of not allowing children under the age of 14 years to participate in ‘Dahi Handi’ festival that coincides with Janmashtami, Bombay High Court on Monday refused to issue any directions on the height of human pyramid formation during the festival, reported PTI. Justice Gavai was quoted as saying, “It is not for the high court to impose restrictions on the age of the participants and height of the pyramids as this falls exclusively in the domain of the state legislature.”
Last week, a division bench of Justices Kurian Joseph and R Banumathi referred the plea of Maharashtra government seeking relaxation in 2014 order to High Court and asked it to grant the hearing on August 7, as per the report.
In 2014, the high court had ordered that children below the age of 18 years cannot participate in the festival. The order also restricted the height of the human pyramids to 20 feet. While hearing the petition today, filed by city residents who raised concerns over the participation of minors in the festival and lack of safety measures, which resulted in several untoward incidents occur, the judge said, “We accept the statement made by the state government that it would ensure children below 14 years of age would not participate in the Dahi Handi festival.”
According to PTI, Tushar Mehta, Additional Solicitor General appearing for the state government, told the court that according to Child Labour (Prohibition and Regulation) Act, children below 14 years of age will not be allowed to participate in the festival since the government had in August last year declared ‘Dahi Handi’ as an adventure sport.