Along with the preparations on the part of the authority, it is important for every person to take measures on individual basis to ensure his/her safety and security. Check this list of Do's and Dont's that needs to be taken care of in such circumstances.
Heavy rains coupled with stormy winds lashed the northern coastal districts of Tamil Nadu. The state along with Andhra Pradesh has been on high alert as Cyclone Vardah is expected to make landfall this afternoon. The severe cyclone laid centered around 105 kilometers from Chennai at around 9:30 am today. Taking note of the current situation, over 15 NDRF teams have been positioned in Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry. However, along with the preparations on the part of the authority, it is important for every person to take measures on individual basis to ensure his/her safety and security. Here are a list of Do’s and Don’ts that needs to be taken care of in such circumstances:
1) The actions that need to be taken immediately before the cyclone:
- Keep a hurricane Lantern filled with kerosene, flash light and enough dry cells and keep them handy.
- Those who have radio sets should ensure that the radio is fully serviceable. In the case of transistors an extra set of batteries should be kept handy.
- Get extra food, especially things which can be eaten without cooking or with very little preparation. Store extra drinking water in suitably covered vessel. Make provisions for children and adults requiring special diets.
- Check on everything that might blow away or be torn loose. Kerosene tins, cans, agricultural implements, garden tools, road signs and other objects become weapon of destruction in strong winds. Remove them and store them in a covered room.
- Get away from low-lying beaches or other low-lying areas close to the coast. Cars, buses, lorries and carts should be driven carefully.
- The houses and dwellings should be cleared of debris.
- Pack essentials for yourself and your family to last a few days. These should include medicines, special food for babies and children or elders. It will help if you would have to evacuate.
— ANI (@ANI_news) December 12, 2016
2) Follow the below mentioned instruction when cyclone starts:
- Keep your radio on and listen to latest weather warnings and advisories from the nearest AIR station. Pass only the official information you have got from the radio to others.
- Ignore rumours and do not spread them; this will help to avoid panic situations.
- Stay alert for the next 24 hours as a cyclone alert means that the danger is within 24 hours.
3) Here are the actions that needs to be taken when evacuation is instructed:
- Head for the proper shelter or evacuation points indicated for your area.
- Do not worry about your property.
- At the shelter follow instructions of the person in charge.
- Remain in the shelter until you are informed to leave.
- If you have to drive, do drive carefully.
4) Besides the above instruction, there are some actions that strictly not to be taken before, during or after the cyclone:
- Avoid being misled by rumours.
- Do not leave shelters until informed by the rescue personals.
- Do not leave the safer place during lull, however minor repairs can be carried out.
- Do not touch the loose and dangling wire from lamp post, it may have electric current.