A case was registered against former Kerala Transport Minister A.K. Saseendran in a court here on Monday based on a complaint by a woman journalist that he harassed her. The same case had earlier led to Saseendran’s exit from the state cabinet when Mangalam TV news channel on its opening day telecast this news on March 26. Saseendran had resigned within hours of the telecast.
The court on Monday registered the case and charged him under non-bailable sections.It also directed a notice to be served on him. Saseendran, who is in Kozhikode, told reporters that he welcomed the court’s decision.
“Now I have got a chance to explain my side and I welcome the decision of the court. I will appear before the court and testify,” said Saseendran. Following his resignation and the state government taking a tough stand on this type of journalism, the police initiated a probe into the entire episode.
On April 4, police arrested five journalists of the news channel. All of them are, however, now out on bail. The woman journalist and two others testified before a magistrate here. Based on their testimony, the Chief Judicial Magistrate’s court directed the case to be registered against Saseendran.