With many demanding Akhilesh Yadav's resignation, the family of the victim had earlier threatened to commit suicide if the convicts were not found within 3 months.
After the brutal gang-rape of the mother-daughter duo in Bulandshahr in Uttar Pradesh and the consequent investigation on the case, UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav admitted the negligence of police when the incident happened, said Deepak Singhal, Chief Secretary of Uttar Pradesh in Delhi. He said, “I have given police 10 to 15 more days, we work for the people. I can put them behind bars if I want to.”
The statement came days after the main accused and 6 others in the Bulandshahr rape case were arrested by the Uttar Pradesh police. One of the accused is still on the run. On July 25, a 35-year-old woman and her 14-year-old daughter were raped for 30 minutes after the gang of dacoits stopped their car and took the driver on gunpoint.
The Supreme Court of India had asked for a CBI investigation into the matter that evoked a huge uproar in the state. With incessant protests and raging public outcry against the lack of law and order in the state of Uttar Pradesh, former Chief Minister and BSP leader Mayawati among many other political leaders had condemned the attack. CM Akhilesh Yadav’s government was asked by Allahabad High Court to submit a status report on its investigation into the gang rape within twenty four hours.
With many demanding Akhilesh Yadav’s resignation, the family of the victim had earlier threatened to commit suicide if the convicts were not found within 3 months.