Delhi High Court today issued notice to the Centre as well as the Delhi Police asking for their response on a plea seeking to ban the online game 'Blue Whale Challenge.'
Days after a 16-year-old attempted suicide while playing the online game Blue Whale Challenge in the national capital recently, the Delhi High Court today issued notice to the Centre as well as the Delhi Police asking for their response on a plea seeking to ban the online game ‘Blue Whale Challenge,’ ANI said. The notice was issued by a bench of acting chief justice Gita Mittal and Justice C Hari Shankar. As per the PTI, the court also asked them to inform on steps taken by them in this regard.
Earlier, in the day, the court also sought the response of social network groups Google, Facebook and Yahoo on a plea to ask them to remove links of Blue Whale challenge, that has been allegedly linked to several deaths of children across the globe.
The bench, while issuing the notice to the Indian units of the internet groups, also asked them to file a report on steps being taken by them in pursuance of the Centre’s direction to ban the online game.
The plea, which has been filed by advocate Gurmeet Singh, has sought the court’s directions to restrain the internet companies from uploading any material related to the game, citing cases of suicide by children in India and across the globe.
In the meantime, Delhi Police counsel Sanjoy Ghose told the court that the cyber security cell was active in this connection and the Centre has also issued an order, PTI report added. Last week, the Centre directed internet biggies like Facebook, Google, Instagram, Whatsapp, Microsoft and Yahoo to remove the links of Blue Whale Challenge immediately.
In the game, the player, is required to commit suicide in the final task and its popularity forced the Centre to issue orders to the internet companies to remove the links of the dangerous game. The Delhi High Court on August 17 had expressed concern over children allegedly committing suicide while playing the online game.
As per PTI, at least six children in the country between the age group of 12-19 years have taken their lives playing this game within a span of two weeks. Deaths have also been reported from China, Russia, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Bulgaria, Argentina, Chile and Italy, the PIL has said, as per the agency.