Encephalitis is a viral infection which causes fever, headache and sudden loss in sugar level in the body. The disease is reportedly linked to a toxic substance that is found in litchi. Muzaffarpur and adjoining districts are famous for litchi gardens.
The death toll in Bihar’s Muzaffarpur due to Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) mounted to 69 on Saturday. According to Muzaffarpur Civil Surgeon Dr Shailesh Prasad Singh, six more deaths have been reported at Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital and Kejriwal Hospital. He said that while 58 children died at SKM hospital, 11 kids lost their lives at Kejriwal Hospital so far.
Singh informed that administration is alert and doctors have been working round the clock to provide proper treatment to save the lives of the children. He said all measures are being taken to minimise the casualties due to the disease outbreak. Besides, health officials have been deployed across all the primary healthcare centres to provide immediate treatment to affected children. Also, the state government has asked health volunteers to distribute ORS packets in areas that have been hit by the disease outbreak.
State Health minister Mangal Pandey who visited Muzaffarpur hospitals on Friday to take stock of the situation said that 187 children are being treated in different government and private hospitals in Muzaffarpur and neighbouring districts. The outbreak is mostly reported ahead of the arrival of Monsoon when heat and the humidity rise. This time, the outbreak has gone beyond Muzaffarpur with many children being diagnosed with the syndrome in Vaishali, Sheohar, East and West Champaran districts.
Pandey said that district magistrates of 12 districts have been asked to launch an awareness campaign against the disease in the rural areas and ask parents to not send their children to the litchi producing gardens. The officials of the health department have asked parents not to feed their children litchis empty stomach.
He added that 42 more beds have been added for encephalitis patients at SKM hospital in Muzaffarpur.
Singh who is closely monitoring the situation also asked parents to feed their kids well before going to bed.
Encephalitis is a viral infection which causes fever, headache and sudden loss in sugar level in the body. It directly affects the life-supporting function in a minor’s body.
The disease is reportedly linked to a toxic substance that is found in litchi. Muzaffarpur and adjoining districts are famous for litchi gardens.