Big catch! NIA arrests accused in attack on Army convoy in Manipur in which 18 personnel were killed

By: |
New Delhi | Published: January 12, 2018 9:29:28 PM

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) today arrested an alleged member of a terror organisation in connection with the ambush on an Army convoy in 2015 in Manipur in which 18 personnel were killed, an official said here.

One of the 6th Dogra Regiment vehicles that was ambushed by the militants, in Manipur on June 4. (Source: Express photo by Deepak Shijagurumayum)One of the 6th Dogra Regiment vehicles that was ambushed by the militants, in Manipur on June 4. (Source: Express photo by Deepak Shijagurumayum)

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) today arrested an alleged member of a terror organisation in connection with the ambush on an Army convoy in 2015 in Manipur in which 18 personnel were killed, an official said here. The agency seized a pistol and five live rounds from Naorem Premkanta Singh, a member of the banned Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL), in an operation jointly conducted by the NIA and the Manipur Police, he said. He was “found involved in an NIA case related to the ambush on Army personnel in Chandel district, Manipur, on June 4, 2015, in which 18 Army personnel were killed”, a statement from the agency read. It said he participated in the ambush on Army personnel of the 6th Dogra Battalion and had been absconding since then.

“During the investigation, a reward of Rs 2 lakh was announced by the NIA on any information leading to his arrest. The special NIA court, Imphal, had also issued a non-bailable arrest warrant. The court has announced him a proclaimed offender,” it said.

Follow financialexpress.com for all news and analysis on the Lok Sabha Elections 2019. Check Lok Sabha election 2019 schedule, Lok Sabha Constituency Details and updates on campaigning by Narendra Modi and Rahul Gandhi. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition