The prestigious Banaras Hindu University is on the boil. PM Narendra Modi has also spoken to UP CM Yogi Adityanath after major protests and violence erupted in the university campus.
The prestigious Banaras Hindu University is on the boil. PM Narendra Modi has also spoken to UP CM Yogi Adityanath after major protests and violence erupted in the university campus. Moreover, Uttar Pradesh Governor Ram Naik has said that a committee headed by the chief secretary has been constituted to go into the protest in the Banaras Hindu University campus. But, what really happened in BHU which snowballed into this major protest? Here are top things to know about how events unfolded and protests turned violent:-
– An alleged eve-teasing incident took place last Thursday.
– A number of girls with other students started a protest
– The protest by girls against an alleged eve-teasing incident turned violent on Saturday night
– A number of students, including women, and two journalists were injured in a baton-charge by the police in the Banaras Hindu University, as per PTI
– Violence erupted after some students, protesting against the alleged eve-teasing incident of Thursday, wanted to meet the Vice Chancellor at his residence on Saturday night, according to police and university sources in a PTI report
– According to PTI, a BHU spokesperson said some students wanted to forcibly enter the VC’s residence but they were stopped by the security guards of the university.
– Subsequently, there was stone pelting by alleged outsiders who had joined the students.
– Police then used batons to control the situation.
What’s the situation now?
– Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has already ordered a probe into the incident.
– A committee has been constituted under the chief secretary. UP Governor described the incident as sad.
– In the wake of the violence, the university has advanced the puja holidays till October 2. Earlier, the holidays were to have started from September 28.