In a bid to indicate displeasure over injustice towards Andhra Pradesh in Union Budget 2018, the Left parties in the state have launched a state-wide agitation and called for a bandh in the state today. The Left parties allege that huge sums were given to other states in the Budget whereas Centre didn’t focus on issues related to Andhra Pradesh. The Left groups, as well as students’ and labour organisations, have jointly rolled out a press release urging people to participate in the ‘Bandh’ in large numbers. They are enforcing the day-long bandh to protest the “failure” of Centre to implement the Andhra Pradesh Reorganisation Act, 2014.
Andhra Bandh: Here are the 10 things you should know-
1. Left workers staged dharnas in front of several Road Transport Corporation depots and also took out rallies in important towns. In Kurnool, Guntur and Tirupati, YSRC activists joined protest rallies.
2. Thin attendance was reported in government offices and public sector undertakings like Visakhapatnam Steel Plant, Visakhapatnam Port Trust, National Thermal Power Corp and Hindustan Shipyard.
3. Transport services in Visakhapatnam were paralysed as private and public bus services, autorickshaws, lorries and trucks remained off the road.
4.Commercial establishments and hotels downed shutters in the port city while government and private schools and colleges declared a “holiday” in view of the bandh.
5. The Andhra University (AU) announced suspension of classes to avoid inconvenience to students. Classes would be suspended at the Visakhapatnam-based AU and its affiliated colleges, said Registrar V Umamaheswara Rao in a statement.
6. Actor Pawan Kalyan also extended his support to the shutdown in the state. On Twitter, he asked his Janasena party cadres to take out a peaceful protest in the state.
7. Chandrababu Naidu’s Telugu Desam Party (TDP) has also called for protests across the state. TDP MPs also protested in Parliament demanding special package for Andhra Pradesh.
8. Earlier, N Chandrababu Naidu-led Telugu Desam Party, which is an alliance partner of the BJP in the National Democratic Alliance, openly slammed the Union Budget. The party even protested against the Budget during the Parliament session.
9. Congress party has supported the call for a complete shut down of Andhra Pradesh today, in protest against injustice meted out to the state by the NDA govt.
10. According to PTI report, YSRC president and leader of opposition Y S Jaganmohan Reddy declared a one-day break from his ongoing foot march in view of the bandh.