After losing the Delhi Municipal Corporation elections by a massive margin, the state unit of the Congress Ajay Maken while speaking to The Indian Express urged his party workers to prepare for the next elections in the city. However, he added that even though Congress got its lowest tally in the MCD polls, it will continue to work as an opposition in the state. “Will continue to work as an opposition in the state,” Maken was quoted as saying in the report.
Ajay Maken gave his resignation to the party high command after the MCD results on April 26 but was asked to continue to lead the party. According to the report, in his first meeting with the newly elected councillors and party workers, Maken said that the party will continue to oppose the Delhi government on its policies and programmes. “People have recognised our efforts and just as our vote share dropped gradually, it will increase gradually. It went from 40 per cent in 2008 to 15 per cent in 2013 to 9 per cent in 2015,” Maken said. He added that the party’s core voter base is slowly returning, and an increase in vote share is a sign of a revival.
Maken has also asked the councillors to keep a keen watch on corruption in the MCDs and have a proactive approach in every ward. The party raised the issues of sanitation, financial mismanagement, primary health and primary education ahead of this year’s MCD polls and will continue to focus as it begins a fresh term in the MCDs. The party had brought out separate manifestos on each issue as well as one on urban infrastructure. Maken was also attacked by the former president of Delhi Mahila Congress Barkha Shukla Singh who resigned last month and later joined the BJP. She was expelled from the party for hitting out at party vice-president Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Congress chief Ajay Maken over ticket distribution for the MCD polls.