2G scam verdict: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday reacted to the special court’s verdict on 2G scam and questioned the role played by CBI in the investigation.
2G scam verdict: Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal on Thursday reacted to the special court’s verdict on 2G scam and questioned the role played by CBI in the investigation. Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief took to Twitter and asked if the investigative body messed up the case. “2G scam is one of the biggest scams. It rocked the country n was one of the reasons for UPA’s downfall. Today everyone goes scot free. Did CBI mess up the case? Intentionally? People need answers,” he tweeted. The special court earlier in the day, acquitted former telecom minister A Raja, DMK supremo Karunanidhi’s daughter Kanimozhi and other accused of all the charges in the 2G spectrum allocation cases- famously known as the 2G scam and often described as the biggest corruption scandal in India. All the acquitted have to furnish a bail bond of Rs 5 lakh each to ensure their presence in a higher appellate court if the verdict is challenged.
The scam had come to light in 2010 when the then Comptroller and Auditor General Vinod Rai alleged that 122 2G licences were given to telecom operators at cheap prices without a fair and free bidding process which resulted in a loss of a whopping Rs 1.76 lakh crore to the national exchequer.
2G scam is one of the biggest scams. It rocked the country n was one of the reasons for UPA’s downfall. Today everyone goes scot free. Did CBI mess up the case? Intentionally? People need answers
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) December 21, 2017
Special Judge OP Saini castigated the CBI for “misreading” the case. “There is no evidence on the record produced before the Court indicating any criminality in the acts allegedly committed by the accused persons,” he said. “The chargesheet of the instant case is based mainly on misreading, selective reading, non-reading and out of context reading of the official record,” Saini said. “The chargesheet is based on some oral statements made by the witnesses during the investigation, which the witnesses have not owned up in the witness box,” he added.
Meanwhile, Former PM Manmohan Singh, who was accused of staying silent on the case, said, “The court judgment has to be respected. I’m glad that the court has pronounced that the massive propaganda against UPA was without any foundation.” Senior Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad also sought an explanation from PM Modi for the “false propaganda” on the 2G scam to come to power in 2014.
Notably, Manmohan Singh called Kanimozhi after the verdict and the DMK leader revealed that the former PM told her that ‘Truth has triumphed’.”