Ever since former Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa passed away last year, her home Poes Garden has turned into a subject of a political slugfest in Tamil Nadu. After the new Chief Minister K Palaniswami announced yesterday that his government would appoint a commission of inquiry to probe the death of Jayalalithaa and convert her ‘Veda Nilayam’ residence into a memorial, a new controversy started. Jayalalithaa’s niece J Deepa has opposed the Tamil Nadu government’s plans to convert her aunt’s residence here into a memorial, saying she would take legal steps against it. In case you are wondering why there is so much fight over one house, you should know these 10 mind-blowing facts about Poes Garden:
1. Poes Garden which was Jayalalithaa’s home was purchased by her mother Vedavalli whose screen name was Sandhya in 1967 for a reported cost of Rs 1.32 lakh.
2. Number 81, Veda Nilayam, Poes Garden was the most renowned address in Tamil Nadu over the past 3 decades.
3. The former Tamil Nadu chief minister Jayalalithaa was living in Poes Garden for last 35 years until she passed away last year.
4. Today, the value of this property stands at Rs 90 crores, according to a report by India.com.
5. However, in her election affidavit, Jayalalithaa stated the value of Poes Garden as Rs 43.96 crores.
6. The house is so big that its total carpet area is 24,000 square feet.
7. Since Jayalalithaa passed away, there has been no clear inheritor of Poes Garden.
8. On paper, the house is owned by late Jayalalithaa. But, since she had no child, the property could not be naturally transferred.
9. Interestingly, AIADMK General Secretary Sasikala who is currently in jail lived at the Poes Garden along with Jayalalithaa.
10. However, after being informed about some alleged conspiracies being hatched against her by Sasikala’s family members, Jayalalithaa suspended her loyalist from the home in 2012. Sasikala was invited back to Poes Garden by Jayalalithaa after some time.