Shaandaar, starring Alia Bhatt and Shahid Kapoor, has done a first in Bollywood – till date there has never been a movie that dealt with the concept of destination wedding – and this is what the film is mostly about. Here we explain in 5 points what the movie is all about:
1. Shaandaar starts off with a cartoon animation (in true-blue Bollywood style flashback) story narrated by Naseeruddin Shah, wherein he ‘introduces’ the audiences to Bipin Arora (Pankaj Kapoor) and his adopted daughter Alia (Alia Bhatt).
2. The narration (still animated) moves on to a real life ‘accidental meeting’ between wedding organizer Joginder (Shahid Kapoor) and Arora. Bipin is travelling with his wife and two daughters Alia and Isha (Sanah Kapoor) and this is when Jaginder’s eyes spot Alia and he falls in love.
3. The story moves to Isha’s destination wedding named ‘Shaandaar’ in UK. And the man in charge of the proceedings is none other than Joginder. The whole wedding is nothing but a ‘financial arrangement’ between Arora’s mother aka Dadi maa (Sushma Seth) and the rich Sindhi family helmed by Harry Fundwani (Sanjay Kapoor). The Aroras (who are bankrupt) think that the marriage with the Fundwani family will get them some money. Understanding the ‘importance’ of her wedding with the Fundwanis, Isha starts to compromise at every step for the sake of her family, despite being endlessly ridiculed by her would-be husband Robin Fundwani and his friends.
4. While no love is lost, so to speak, in Isha’s case, love does start blossoming between Joginder and Alia, something that Bipin doesn’t seem to approve of. While everybody is really busy with the wedding preparations, Joginder and Alia leave no stone unturned in making Isha feel special.
5. During one wedding event, the whole family, desperate for vegetarian food, ends up eating hash brownies and mushrooms and get ‘high’. In this condition, Bipin makes a startling revelation about his real relationship with Alia. What is the actual relationship between Bipin and Alia, does anyone bother to listen to Isha and her feelings, does Isha ultimately get married into the Fundwani family for her family’s sake, what ultimately happens to Joginder and Alia, is what forms the rest of the film.