A Sessions Court here trying the 2002 hit-and-run case involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan will pronounce its judgement on May 6.
A Sessions Court here trying the 2002 hit-and-run case involving Bollywood actor Salman Khan will pronounce its judgement on May 6. Judge D W Deshpande said, “I will pronounce the verdict on May 6,” at 11.15 AM and asked Salman Khan to be present on that day.
Following is the chronology of events in the 2002 hit-and-run case in which actor Salman Khan is accused.
* September 28, 2002: Salman’s white-colour Toyota Land Cruiser crashes into American Express Bakery at Hill Road at Bandra killing one person and injuring four others.
* Sept 28: Salman’s blood samples taken.
* Sept 28: Salman arrested by Bandra police, granted bail.
* October 1: Salman booked under provisions of IPC, Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and Bombay Prohibition Act, 1949
* Oct 2002: Mumbai Police invokes section 304-II of IPC i.e culpable homicide not amounting to murder which attracts punishment of jail term of 10 years.
* Oct 7, 2002: Salman surrenders again before Bandra police, he is arrested.
* Oct 21, 2002: Mumbai police files charge sheet in Bandra magistrate court.
* Oct 24, 2002: Salman granted bail.
* March 2003: Salman challenges application of section 304-II of IPC in Mumbai sessions court.
* May 2003: Sessions court rejects the plea, asks magistrate court to frame charges.
* June 2003: Salman moves Bombay High Court, which opines that section 304-II of IPC not application in the case.
* October 2003: Maharashtra government challenges Bombay HC order in Supreme Court.
* December 2003: SC rules that the magistrate court may decide whether section 304-II of IPC could be applied.
* October 2006: Magistrate frames charges against Salman.
* Oct 3, 2007: Police bodyguard Ravindra Patil, who filed the first FIR, dies of TB.
* Oct 2011: Prosecution demands Salman must be tried under harsher sections.
* December 23, 2013: Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate V S Patil, after examining 17 witnesses, invokes the charge of culpable homicide not amounting to murder on the actor and refers the case to sessions court for trial.
* June 24, 2013: Sessions court holds that culpable homicide charge is applicable, rejects Salman’s appeal against the order of magistrate.
* Apr 27, 2014: Fresh trial begins in sessions court, first witness deposes.
* July 24, 2014: Charges framed against Salman in fresh trial by sessions court.
* July 2014: Files in the case disappear from Bandra police station. Original statements of 63 witnesses reported missing. Court orders inquiry.
* September 12, 2014: Files found and produced before court.
* Sept 2014: Pradeep Gharat appointed Special Public Prosecutor in this case.
* March 25, 2015: Prosecution closes evidence after examining 24 witnesses.
* March 27: Salman’s statement recorded under section 313 CrPC by Additional Sessions Judge D W Deshpande.
* March 31: Salman’s driver Ashok Singh examined as defence witness, says he was driving the car and not the actor.
* April 1: Prosecution beings arguments.
* Apr 10: Salman’s lawyer begins arguments.
* Apr 20: Arguments conclude.
* Apr 21: Court says it would give judgement on May 6.