AIB Knockout: Compliant filed against Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh for using ‘filthy language’ by Maharashtra govt

By: | Updated: February 3, 2015 10:19 AM

Mumbai Police initiated an inquiry following a complaint against Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh for using abusive language during the AIB Knockout.

aib knockout, aib roast, aib, aib show, Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor, Ranveer Singh, ranveer singh aib, maharashtra gov, maharashtra governmentMumbai Police initiated an inquiry following a complaint against Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, which alleged that the trio, along with other comedians, had used abusive language during the AIB Knockout.

Maharashtra government on Monday ordered an inquiry into a comedy show, AIB Knockout, held here even as police launched a probe following a complaint against filmmaker Karan Johar, actor Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh, among others, for allegedly using “filthy and abusive language” during the event.

“Officials of the Culture Department will examine the (AIB show) videos for the content. If found vulgar, an action will be initiated,” Maharashtra Cultural Affairs Minister Vinod Tawde told reporters here.

Mumbai Police also initiated an inquiry following a complaint against Johar, Kapoor and Singh, which alleged that the trio, along with other comedians, had used abusive language during the AIB Knockout, a comedy show, held in December last year at Worli in the city.

According to the written complaint by Akhilesh Tiwari, president of Brahman Ekta Seva Sanstha in Mumbai, filed at Sakinaka police station today, the trio, along with other performers, had allegedly passed abusive and offensive remarks against one another and at the audience present there, police said.

The episode on YouTube had social media abuzz with Kapoor and Singh being openly criticised. The event was hosted by Johar.

In his four-page complaint at Sakinaka police station, Tiwari sought a criminal case against Johar, Kapoor and Singh as well as the show organiser, among others.

“I have handed over a letter to Sakinaka police demanding a criminal complaint be lodged against these so-called youth icons Karan Johar, Arjun Kapoor and Ranveer Singh. The show, which can be seen on YouTube and other websites, was extremely abusive and it is not only ruining the clean image of the Indian culture & women but is also misleading today’s youth,” said Tiwari.

The 43-year-old complainant claimed that the programme was organised on December 20 and was uploaded on websites last week. “I sought action against the event organisers and other performers as well, who passed dirty comments with such audacity. The police action would be a deterrent to them so that they would not dare to do such acts publicly in future,” he said.

While Akhilesh Tiwari has filed a four-page report, Vinod Tawde, minister with Maharashtra govt, took social networking site Twitter to express his opinion.

 


Prasanna More, Senior Inspector at Sakinaka police station, told PTI “we have received the written complaint. We are inquiring into the matter. Once we reach a conclusion, appropriate action would be initiated, if required.”

The show started with Karan Johar announcing, “Let the filth begin.”

Other performers had cracked jokes at the audience that included actors Deepika Padukone, Sonakshi Sinha and Alia Bhatt, the complaint said.

Get live Stock Prices from BSE and NSE and latest NAV, portfolio of Mutual Funds, calculate your tax by Income Tax Calculator, know market’s Top Gainers, Top Losers & Best Equity Funds. Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Switch to Hindi Edition