Singer-songwriter Jewel opened up about her troubled experience of being homeless and living on streets that gave her life a new meaning.
The 41-year-old “Stronger Woman” hitmaker shared her near-death experience due to poisoning, reported Us magazine.
“I almost died in an emergency room because they didn’t see me as I didn’t have (health) insurance. Thankfully, a doctor had seen me get turned away. I was dying of lead poisoning and he gave me some antibiotics and saved my life,” Jewel said.
The songtress recalled those days when she was living in a car and was not able to get a job due to less education.
“I remember washing my hair at a bathroom sink in a Dennyu2019s, and I was using the hand towels to dry my hair. And people looked at me like I was absolutely disgusting. I wanted to yell at them and say, ‘I’m human! I may not have a house, but I matter!”
But, all the struggle made her stronger and gave her the strength to pursue her dream of becoming a singer.