Yash Raj Films production Sultan starring Salman Khan is a story about once-upon-a-time superman-like wrestler who has conquered all before him, including his lady love, but then proceeds to lose his mojo somewhere along the line. He, of course. rises phoenix-like, purer and stronger to conquer the world, again.
Salman Khan starrer Sultan has hit the screens with a bang and it seems everyone you know or who is around you is asking ‘yaar, have you seen Sultan, yet?’ While these people are mostly sold on the idea of checking out what Salman Khan’s latest blockbuster is about, there are others sitting on the fence who are willing to be swayed into heading for the cinemas. For all these people we provide a few telling pieces of the story, key takeaways, to help them make up their minds and give up the indecision. Check out the top 10 key takeaways:
1. First of all since this is a Salman Khan movie viewers must let themselves be transported to another plane – a different reality where you leave reason behind and start figuring from there. It is a fantastic trip intoa fictional world, a kind of a pick-me-up to energise even the most laid back personalities. Watch the movie with that perspective and enjoy a couple of hours of fun as Salman takes you on an emotionally charged, violence filled roller-coast ride!
2. The movie is all about the ancient sport of wrestling, which has recently found popularity with some top Indian sportsmen winning laurels on the world stage. And more than that, the film takes a revolutionary leap into the future and even inserts a female wrestler into the mix in the form of Anushka Sharma.
3. And yes, viewers will have to take yet another leap of faith, because Anushka gets really up close and personal with (gasp!) other semi-naked, male musclemen! That she promptly sets about tossing them into the air or smashing them into the ground adds to the sensory overload factor! The attention is rivetted on Anushka squashing the aforementioned male musclemen against herself before scything them down. The imagination runs riot!
4. But wait! We haven’t finished yet, there is more, much more – after all this is a Salman Khan movie. Now, if we tell you that Salman Khan too does more or less of the same thing that Anushka does, will seem kind of par for the course. But it isn’t. Salman puts in so much energy into each and every shot that he grabs attention and keeps it rivetted on him as he grabs the movie by the scruff of its neck and takes everyone for an unforgettable ride.
5. Yash Raj Films production Sultan is a story about once-upon-a-time superman-like wrestler who has conquered all before him, including his lady love, but then proceeds to lose his mojo somewhere along the line. He revives himself eventually and pushes himself to a higher than ever effort to get back the woman he loves and regain the commanding heights of the profession that he once lorded over – guaranteed to touch your heart.
6. The film kicks off with a businessman dabbling in sports events, wrestling-based, of course, but who is on the verge of failure. He is sent packing to meet Sultan by his father. But Sultan the wrestler is by now a has-been, a man who feels sorry for himself and who has grown fat and grotesque due to his indolent life, which according to the storyline is virtually meaningless as he even manages to lose the love of his life. But he is somehow convinced to enter the wrestling arena again.
7. The flashbacks of glory days lost provide an in-depth view of the great wrestler. From his indefatigable spirit, boundless energy, immensely muscled frame to unbelievable feats and triumphs, the man’s image as one of the greatest sportsmen in India, if not the world, emerges. And presto! The man is back at his best soon enough. No punches are held back and the action is fast and furious. One is virtually transported to the dirt fields and the only thing missing is the smell of the earth in your nostrils. Salman has built up his physique magnificently and for all the teenage kids this will definitely be a call to action to take to the sport and bulk up their frames.
8. Oh yes, there is the bold and sassy young Anushka (in flashbacks) who is wooed by Salman, how she is unimpressed but how his persistence pays off and their love blossoms. It is unusual and will not give rise to feelings of ‘been there done that’. Anuska manages to pull off the Haryanvi girl bit with superb aplomb. And, Sultan also serves up humour in large doses.
9. Special mention must be made of Randeep Hooda ( who plays role of martial arts expert), Amit Sadh (sports businessman) who are more than just convincing as they cajole Sultan back to greatness.
10. Sultan songs are quite upbeat. For instance, ‘Baby Ko Bass Pasand Hai’ has taken the charts by storm, then there is the romantic ‘Jag Ghoomeya’. However, the focus is not the music nor the songs, the focus is the action on the screen and that is where Salman Khan really comes into focus.
It is an incredible Eid gift and worth the fancy sums of money paid by those who wanted to be the first to lay their eyes on their idol. For the rest, the excitement awaits.