A day ahead of the release of Salman Khan starrer ‘Sultan’, the Supreme Court today admitted Maharashtra Government’s appeal challenging Bombay High Court verdict acquitting the Bollywood super star in the 2002 hit-and-run case.
During the hearing, Attorney General Mukul Rohatgi, on behalf of the Maharashtra Government, urged the apex court to put the hearing on fast track but the SC bench headed by Justice JS Khehar refused the plea.
“If you want the hearing on fast track, you can approach the CJI for the same,” Justice Kehar told the AG.
Arguing for the actor, Kapil Sibbal told the apex court that he has no objection to the case to be heard on the basis on merit.
Earlier, calling the actor’s acquittal a “travesty of justice”, AG Rohatgi had described the High Court ruling as “perverse” and said the theory that the car was being driven by Khan’s driver should be discarded because the driver’s statement came years after the incident.
Salman had been acquitted by the Bombay High Court in December 2015 and later in February this year, the Supreme Court sent a notice to Salman, asking why his acquittal should not be overturned.
On December 23, 2015, the Maharashtra Government had informed about its decision to challenge in the Supreme Court the HC verdict acquitting the actor of all charges in the case.
On September 28, 2002, Khan’s Toyota Land Cruiser had crashed into men sleeping on a pavement outside a bakery in Mumbai’s Bandra, killing one.
(With ANI inputs)