Uttar Pradesh Election 2017: Chetan Chauhan is a two-time Member of parliament and was elected to the Lok Sabha from Amroha in Uttar Pradesh.
BJP has returned to power in Uttar Pradesh after almost 15 years by getting a historic mandate. The party won 325 seats in the assembly election and Yogi Adityanath was selected as the Legislature Party leader at a meeting of MLAs in Lucknow. He has taken oath along with his cabinet of Ministers and one of the high profile inclusion is of former cricketer Chetan Chauhan. Chauhan’s name in the list means BJP is up for diversity within the party and is looking to promote people from different backgrounds. So, how did Chetan Chauhan became a politician? Let’s find out.
– Chetan Chauhan was born on 21st July 1947 in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh but his family moved to Pune in Maharashtra in 1960 as his father who was army officer was transferred.
– While graduating from the Wadia College in Pune, he developed an interest in cricket and was coached by the former Maharashtra player Kamal Bhandarkar. His performances in the University cricket got the of selectors and Chauhan was drafted in West Zone’s team for the interzonal Vizzy Trophy in 1966/67.
– He scored 88 and 63 against South Zone in the final of the tournament. Interestingly, he opened the batting with legendary Indian opener Sunil Gavaskar.
You may also want to watch:
— TIMES NOW (@TimesNow) March 19, 2017
– The duo then went on to play for India and opened the batting many times together in the 70s. They also held the record for most runs by an Indian pair in one season. Gavaskar and Chauhan added 913 runs in 1979/80 season, a record that was broken yesterday by Murali Vijay and Cheteshwar Pujara.
– He was the first international cricketer to retire after scoring 2000 Test runs without scoring a century. After that, Chauhan got involved in politics.
– Chetan Chauhan is a two-time Member of parliament and was elected to the Lok Sabha from Amroha in Uttar Pradesh. He was also appointed as the Chairman of NIFT in June 2016.