A day before the end of the election campaign in Uttar Pradesh, Prime Minister Narendra Modi not only blasted the Akhilesh Yadav government in Uttar Pradesh over a range of issues but also talked about issues that may change voters’ perception about the BJP. In a first after addressing several rallies, PM Modi spared Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi as well as his party and slammed Akhilesh government for its many failures. The Prime Minister said the Assembly elections this year is between “development and destruction” and people should opt for development. The PM also personally promised that he would get things done for the welfare of Uttar Pradesh.
Here are key highlights from PM Modi’s speech in Ghaziabad today:
1. “This election is not about who will win or not. This election is to end the ‘vanvas’ of development after 14 years in Uttar Pradesh.
2. PM accused the SP government of not giving a real report card of the state government’s achievements. “They don’t answer in UP, how will they make it Uttar Pradesh…People of Uttar Pradesh know what you have done for only your family and people known to you.
3. “I will give my report card in 2019.”
4. “Can women and girls go out alone in the evening? You (Akhilesh government) have made so many women leaders in your family, but why women are not yet safe in Uttar Pradesh.”
“If you wanted, you could have made the state safe for women.”
5. “You (Akhilesh) have filled the entire system with the poison of casteism and thus snatched the rights of youth in Uttar Pradesh…BJP has said in its ‘Sankalp Patra’ that we would probe all scams in jobs in UP and give justice to the youth of the state.”
6. “It is my promise to you that I will get works done for the benefit of the state.”
7. “Shouldn’t someone fight against corruption. As long as you wouldn’t punish such (SP) government, fight against corruption will not end.”
8. For the first time we brought Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana. Under the sceme, 98% of payment for Crop Insurance is borne by the Centre. Yet, UP government has denied this to 85% farmers of the state.
9. “On the first day itself, I will make the BJP government to do two things — to waive loans of small farmers in UP. I take this responsibility. In one year, we will take crop insurance to all farmers of the state.”
Women supporters at Modi’s Ghaziabad rally pic.twitter.com/bAlNOMZ2wX
— Rajeev Kumar (@rajeevk87) February 8, 2017
10: “It is my fight against black money. It is my fight against big people, babus who have looted the people. My government has no agenda against small merchants, common people. Parties are misleading that I am against common people. I am working for safety of common people.”
11. “UP government is anti-farmer. We are trying to connect 500 mandis through technology where farmers can sell their produce online.”
12. “Give me the opportunity to serve UP. This fight is between development and destruction. Make BJP a winner for development.”