Meghalaya election result 2018 LIVE updates: Counting for Meghalaya assembly election 2018 has begun. It is the only state where Congress is leading out of the three states.
Meghalaya election result 2018 LIVE updates: Counting for Meghalaya assembly election 2018 started at 8 am. Around 84 per cent voting took place in the state on 27 February. The contesting parties are ruling Congress, BJP, National People’s Party (NPP) and the newly floated People’s Democratic Front. The CVoter exit poll has predicted the ruling Congress will suffer some setback with its tally coming down to 13-19 from 29 while the BJP is set to win 4-8 seats and around 16.5 per cent of vote share. It said the local National People’s Party (NPP) may get 17-23 seats. In 2013 election, BJP had lost all 13 seats it contested with a vote share of 6.2 per cent, while the NPP could win only two seats out of 32 it contested.
- Meghalaya election: Rahul Gandhi slams BJP for government formation, says party 'usurped power using proxy'
- Why Congress failed to form government in Meghalaya? Blame its bitter past with regional parties
- Meghalaya Election result: NPP president Conrad Sangma meets Governor Ganga Prasad, stakes claim to form govt
Check Meghalaya election result 2018 Highlights
6. 20 pm: PM Modi halted his speech in respect of Azaan.
6. 15 pm: Meanwhile, speaking at BJP Headquaters in Delhi, BJP Chief Amit Shah said, “BJP karyakartas will celebrate “Vijay-Utsav” across the country to celebrate this outstanding performance of BJP in the North-East tomorrow at 11 am. आज उत्तर-पूर्व में भाजपा के ऐतिहासिक प्रदर्शन पर भाजपा कार्यकर्ता कल सुबह 11 बजे देश-भर में “विजय उत्सव”मनाएंगे |”
6. 10 pm: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday thanked the people of the northeastern state of Nagaland, Meghalaya, and Tripura for supporting the ‘good governance agenda’ of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the assembly election.
6: 00 pm: Meanwhile, UP CM Yogi Adityanath said, “The party is achieving historical success in Tripura, Nagaland and Meghalaya under the able leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and I want to congratulate all party workers, PM Modi and party president Amit Shah.”
5. 29 pm: In Meghalaya, the Assembly election results were likely to throw up a hung verdict.
5. 08 pm: The results of the Assembly elections in the three northeastern states of Tripura, Nagaland and Meghalaya have given a clear indication that Prime Minister Narendra Modi will return to power after the 2019 Lok Sabha polls, Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal said today.
4: 24 pm: BJP leader Ram Madhav said, “Seeing the early trends, I feel that in Tripura BJP is going to do very well. In Nagaland too, our alliance is doing very well and Congress is trailing in Meghalaya”.
4.03 pm: With over 90 percent of votes counted Saturday, the Election Commission’s tabulation suggested that the BJP was likely to form a government on its own in Tripura state, replacing the Communist Party of India (Marxist). It also looked like it could win a majority with support from other groups in Meghalaya and Nagaland states.
3. 42 pm: PM in another tweet said, “Time and again, election after election, the people of India are reposing their faith in the positive and development oriented agenda of the NDA. People do not have the time or respect for negative, disruptive and disconnected politics of any kind.”
3. 20 pm: PM Modi took to Twitter and said, “I express my gratitude to the people of Meghalaya for supporting
@BJP4Meghalaya. The welfare of Meghalaya is of utmost importance for us. I appreciate the BJP Karyakartas for their continued efforts in the state to serve the people.”
3: 00 pm: After the impressive performance of the BJP and its allies in Tripura and Nagaland assembly polls, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said people are reposing faith in the development oriented agenda of the NDA while rejecting negative and disconnected politics.
2. 49 pm: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma wins both from Ampati and Songsak constituencies.
2. 21 pm: ECI trends: Congress leading on 21, NPP on 18, BJP on 3, UDP on 6 and Others on 11
2.00 pm: In Meghalaya, the vote is basically against the Congress if you see the performance of other parties. Leaders will discuss if there can be possibility of a post poll alliance, said Nalin Kohli,BJP Meghalaya incharge.
1.40 pm: As per some PTI sources, Congress rushed two senior leaders to the northeastern state to explore possibilities of forming a government.
1.20 pm: Congress leaders Ahmed Patel and Kamal Nath have reportedly left for Shillong this morning to work out possible tie-ups with independents in Meghalaya to form a government there.
1.00 pm: Already ruling in the state, Congress is set to emerge as the single largest party in the Meghalaya
12.30 pm: Ravi Shankar Prasad takes a jibe at the Left, says initially we used to say “Congress mukt Bharat’ now I think we can say ‘Vaampanth Mukt Bharat”.
12.10 pm: BJP spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad has said that entire north east is now with the BJP.
11.55 am: BJP General secretary Ram Madhav has said that a divided result is possible in Meghalaya. However, he has said that BJP will try that a non-Congress government is formed in the state.
11.35 am: Jitendra Singh, Union Minister, speaks on the election trends: The minister has said that victory is vindication for consistent development in PM Modi’s rule.
11.20 am: UP CM Yogi Adityanath speaks on North eastern elections: BJP is all set for a historic win in Tripura, I would like to congratulate PM Modi, Amit Shah ji and our party workers.
11.00 am: Meanwhile, BJP is likely to form the government in Tripura. The party is now leading in more than 30 seats. The results will be a big blow to CPI (M)
10.40 am: Meghalaya polls: Good news coming in for Congress. The grand old party, along with its allies, is inching close to halfway mark. Meghalya is the the only state where Congress is leading.
10.20 am: Kiren Rijiju, MoS Home, speaks on early trends: The trends in all three states point to a new political direction, it will have an effect on national politics as well. We are confident of forming Govt in all three.
9.55 am: Brinda Karat, CPI, speaks on early trends: We are very confident, let more rounds of counting complete, our leads are going to get much bigger
9.36 am: Commenting on early trends, Ram Madhav of BJP has said that BJP is going to do very well in Tripura. In Nagaland too, our alliance is doing very well and Congress is trailing in Meghalaya. The three results of North East are going to be very good for BJP.
9.20 am: Trends Meghalaya: ECI trends: Congress leading on 5 seats, UDP on 2, NPP on 1 and 1 Independent. It’s good news for Congress as per the official figures. The grand old party is currently ruling the state.
9.00 am: In interesting scenes, huge crowd were seen at Shillong Polo ground where people can see counting trends through a projector for Meghalaya Election 2018
— ANI (@ANI) March 3, 2018
8.41 am: Meghalaya: Trends and leads – BJP: 3, Congress : 7, NPP 8. BJP is trailing in the state. It is good news for Congress.
Also Read | Nagaland election result 2018 LIVE updates
8.20 am: Out of 60 seats, BJP and Congress are leading on three seats each. NPP is leading on 1 seat here.
8.10 am: The first trends will be announced soon. Meanwhile, in Tripura, Left is leading in 1 seat.
8.00 am: ANI has reported that counting of votes has begun for Tripura, Meghalaya and Nagaland assembly elections
7.30 am: Counting will begin at 8 am. Stay tuned for every big update.
6.00 am: Counting to begin at 8 am.