Gujarat election 2017: In a veiled attack at PM Narendra Modi, Pakistan foreign office on Monday asked India to stop dragging its name in the ongoing internal elections in Gujarat. “India should stop dragging Pakistan into its electoral debate and win victories on own strength rather than fabricated conspiracies, which are utterly baseless and irresponsible, (sic)” Mohammad Faisal, spokesperson Pakistan foreign office, tweeted. Islamabad’s comment came a day after PM Modi claimed that ex-Pakistan Army DG had asked to make Ahmed Patel the chief minister of state. “Why is Pakistan interfering in 2017 Gujarat Polls? Ex-Pak Army DG had said Ahmed Patel should be made CM,” he was quoted as saying. PM Modi further claimed that Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar held secret meetings with Pakistan High Commissioner in New Delhi. Addressing the rally, the prime minister asked motive behind this meeting, once again questioning why people in the military-intelligence establishment of Pakistan writing that we should help make Ahmed Patel the CM.
Here are updates on what PM Modi said, how Congress reacted, other parties reacted:
- “The same Mani Shankar Aiyar, who insulted Gujarat, held secret meetings with Pakistan High Commissioner. What was the reason? Why are people who previously held high posts in military-intelligence establishment of Pak writing that we should help make Ahmed Patel the CM?” PM Modi said. Modi further added this meeting was attended by former Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh.
- “There were media reports yesterday about a meeting at Mani Shankar Aiyar’s house. It was attended by Pakistan’s high commissioner, Pakistan’s former foreign minister, India’s former vice president and former prime minister Manmohan Singh,” he added.
- The prime minister further said that the reported meeting went on for three hours and the very next day, Mani Shankar Aiyar called him ‘neech’. “(On one side) Pakistan Army’s former DG is interfering in Gujarat’s election, on the other side, Pakistan’s people are holding a meeting at Mani Shankar Aiyar’s house,” he said.
- The prime minister is also facing heat from within the party for the said comments. Without naming Modi, BJP leader Shatrughan Sinha has said asked to ‘stop communalising’ the atmosphere. “Just to win elections anyhow, and that too at the fag end of the process, is it a must to come up with & endorse new, unsubstantiated & unbelievable stories everyday against political opponents? Now linking them to Pak High Commissioner & Generals?! Incredible!” Shatrughan Sinha said.
Watch video here:
Modi accuses Pakistan Army of interfering in Gujarat polls, claims Pak wants Ahmed Patel as chief minister
Hamari Fouji establishment bhi na ???????? pic.twitter.com/IZpi17yCsR
— Asfandyar Bhittani (@BhittaniKhannnn) December 10, 2017
- Sir! Instead of new twists & turns, stories & cover ups, let’s go straight to the promises that we made, regarding housing, development, employment of youth, health, “Vikas model”. Lets stop communalising the atmosphere & go back to healthy politics & healthy elections. Jai Hind!” he added in a tweet
- Rahul Gandhi slams Modi: Jaise picture flop hoti hai, waise hi BJP ki vikas yatra flop ho gayi. Gujarat ka chunav ho raha hai aur Modi ji kabhi Japan, Pakistan, Afghanistan ki baat karte hain. Modi ji, Gujarat ka chunaav hai, thodi Gujarat ki baat karlo: Rahul Gandhi in Banaskantha #GujaratElection2017