Seems like the high-octane election campaign by the Congress and its to-be President Rahul Gandhi in the battleground Gujarat has worked in favour of the party with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) taking a setback. As per the recently released survey poll by ABP-CSDS, the BJP will lose its vote share to the party securing around 91-99 seats while the Congress is expected to ascent to 78-86 seats. This can be seen a major turnaround for the ruling BJP. However, as BJP looks set to retain power in its bastion in the upcoming Assembly elections, even with a small margin, the incumbent Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has emerged as the most popular choice for the top post in the state, according to the survey. It must be noted that Anandiben Patel, not Vijay Rupani was installed as the chief minister after Narendra Modi vacated the chair to move to Delhi as prime minister after the 2014 Lok Sabha elections. However, after mismanagement of governance and dissatisfaction among the people and the BJP, Anandiben was replaced with Rupani. Since then, the incumbent chief minister has sought to bring governance back on the track.
Vijay Rupani has been very active in the election campaigning for the upcoming assembly elections scheduled to be held in two phases (December 9 & 14). His road shows saw a huge crowd flocking to the streets. Vijay Rupani started his career as student activist associated with Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP). He joined Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and subsequently joined Jan Sangh in 1971 has been associated with Bharatiya Janta Party since its establishment. He succeeded Anandiben Patel and sworn in as the Chief Minister of Gujarat on 7 August 2016.
This is not the lone survey where the BJP is predicted to sweep the elections but opinion polls by other media houses also suggest that the saffron party will secure over 110 seats in the election. Vijay Rupani has also been found the most popular face for the post of chief minister in the previous polls. Here is a list of projections from a few polls conducted by other media houses.
BP-CSDS survey (Second week of November)
– The BJP is projected to secure a majority by bagging 113-121 seats in Gujarat.
– BJP to get a vote share of the saffron party will be 47 per cent.
– Congress is expected to get 58 -64 seats while the vote share of the party will be 41 per cent.
– Vijay Rupani retaining the chief minister’s post.
– In Saurashtra, both Congress and BJP in Saurashtra as both look to get 42 per cent of the vote share.
– In North Gujarat, Congress is expected to fetch 49% of votes and it gave the BJP 44% vote share.
– In Central Gujarat, Congress is predicted to get only 38% votes, while the BJP is set to get 54 pct votes.
– In South Gujarat, BJP may well get 51 pct votes, while the vote share of the Congress will be just 33 per cent.
Times Now-VMR survey (Last week of October)
– The Times Now-VMR survey predicts around 118-134 seats (52 percent of votes) for BJP
– The survey predicts that Congress could secure around 49-61 seats (37 percent votes).
India Today Axis My India (Last week of October)
– BJP is projected to win between 115-125 seats.
– Congress is projected to bag between 57-65 seats.
– BJP to get 48 per cent vote share.
– Congress to get 38 per cent vote share
The crucial Assembly polls in Gujarat are slated be held in two phases on December 9 and 14. The results of these elections will be declared on December 18th along with Himachal Pradesh.