Education is one of the most crucial aspects for every parent and the students whose very lives depend on both the quality of the education as well the credibility of the institution.
Education is one of the most crucial aspects for every parent and the students whose very lives depend on both the quality of the education as well the credibility of the institution. Considering its critical nature, wrongdoers look to take advantage of those gullible enough to fall victim in their efforts to find the best institutions available in their budget. While there are a lot of problems faced by parents and students, the HRD ministry has done a big service by revealing names of some of the most blatant cases. In an annual report put forward by University Grants Commission (UGC), it has been revealed that there are 23 fake universities in the country, and seven in the National capital itself. Mahendra Nath Pandey, Minister of State for human resource development said,” The state is investigating the matter and a police complaint will be registered soon.”
He also added,”The Ministry had written to the state and has asked them to initiate the proceedings against those who are involved in defrauding and deceiving students by misrepresenting themselves as universities awarding degrees with their name.” According to the UGC gudielines,”A University is the one established by Central/ State/ Provincial Act or an ‘institution is deemed to be a Univerisity under the section 3 or an institution especially empowered by an Act of Parliament to confer UGC specified degrees under section 22(3) of the Act.” However, proliferation of fake universities has been a matter of great concern, as it undermines the standards of education in India, and also affects the career of students. Here’s is the list of 23 fake Universities in India:
1) Maithili University/Vishwavidyalaya, Darbhanga, Bihar.
2) Commercial University Ltd., Daryaganj, Delhi.
3) United Nations University, Delhi.
4) Vocational University, Delhi.
5) ADR-Centric Juridical University, ADR House, 8J, Gopala Tower, 25 Rajendra Place, New Delhi – 110 008.
6) Indian Institute of Science and Engineering, New Delhi.
7) Viswakarma Open University for Self-Employment, Rozgar Sewasadan, 672, Sanjay Enclave, Opp. GTK Depot, Delhi-110033.
8) Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Gokak, Belgaum, Karnataka.
9) St. John’s University, Kishanattam, Kerala.
10) Raja Arabic University, Nagpur, Maharashtra.
11) Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine, Kolkatta.
12) Institute of Alternative Medicine and Research,8-A, Diamond Harbour Road, Builtech inn, 2nd Floor, Thakurpurkur, Kolkatta – 700063
13) Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi (UP) Jagatpuri, Delhi.
14) Mahila Gram Vidyapith/Vishwavidyalaya, (Women’s University) Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
15) Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith, Prayag, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh.
16) National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh.
17) Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose University (Open University), Achaltal, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh.
18) Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Kosi Kalan, Mathura, Uttar Pradesh.
19) Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
20) Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Institutional Area,Khoda,Makanpur,Noida Phase-II, Uttar Pradesh.
21) Gurukul Vishwavidyala, Vridanvan, Uttar Pradesh.
22) Nababharat Shiksha Parishad, Anupoorna Bhawan, Plot No. 242, Pani Tanki Road,Shaktinagar, Rourkela-769014.
23) North Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, Odisha.
Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP – the matter is subjudice before the District Judge
The details are also available on the UGC website www.ugc.ac.in.