Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s pet project — Digital India — is all set to be launched today.
Digital India, PM Narendra Modi’s pet project, is all set to be launched today. The week-long event, to be held in the capital, will see at least one major e-governance project being unveiled each day and is expected to attract 10,000 people. In terms of scale and grandeur the programme will match the biennial Vibrant Gujarat Summit that Modi started during his stint as the chief minister of the state.
Here is all you need to know in 15 points about Digital India project:
1. The venue for the inaugural ceremony, sources said, is the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, and around 400 top CEOs have been invited.
2. Tata Group chairman Cyrus Mistry, Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani, Wipro chairman Azim Premji, Bharti Group chairman Sunil Mittal and Adani Group chairman Gautam Adani are expected to attend Digital India event.
3. Sources said that Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is also likely to be present on the occasion.
4. The captains of industry are likely to announce their association with some of the projects, which include portals on telemedicine and e-hospitals — one partnership with the Apollo Hospital Group has already been forged.
5. A portal on agriculture will also be unveiled as will e-basta, a platform to provide study material for students.
6. For common citizens, there will be the Digital Lockers initiative to help them store important documents like PAN cards, passports, mark sheets and degree certificates.
7. The e-hospital portal will allow citizens to make appointments with the doctors.
8. A project aimed at digitising land records, birth and death certificates, mark sheets and other such utilities would also be unveiled at Digital India Week.
9. Digital India aims to build infrastructure and provide the internet as a utility to every citizen.
10. It promises to improve service delivery by making services available online.
11. Digital India seeks to enable people to access the internet by building digital literacy.
12. The eSign facility will allow online digital signature service
13. BSNL targets to provide Wi-Fi hotspots in 2500 cities
14. The project also aims to supports Daughter Funds including early stage angel funds and venture funds in the area of electronics.
15. Resource pool of IP within the country