PM Modi will launch the Smart City projects on June 25. With the launch, execution of Smart City plans of 20 cities will get started.
Giving boost to India’s infrastructure dreams, PM Narendra Modi will launch the Smart City projects on Saturday, June 25. With the launch, execution of Smart City plans of 20 cities selected in the first round of ‘Smart City Challenge Competition’ will get started.
Prime Minister will launch 14 projects under the Smart City Plan of Pune. Another 69 such projects will be launched the same day in the other Smart Cities entailing a total investment of about Rs 1,770 crore. All the first batch of 20 smart cities will be linked through video-conferencing on the occasion of launch of projects by the PM.
These 20 cities have proposed a total investment of Rs 48,000 crore in area development and Pan-city solutions.
The projects to be launched in Pune and other cities include Solid Waste Management projects under Swachh Bharat Mission, Water Supply Projects, Sewage Treatment Plants and development of open and green spaces under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT), Housing Projects for urban poor under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana and area development and technology based Pan-city Solutions under Smart Cities Mission realizing the objective of convergence in implementation of new urban missions.
Saturday’s launch also marks the beginning of implementation of urban development plans based on five year action plans formulated after detailed analysis of infrastructure gaps in over 500 cities included in Smart City Mission and AMRUT, accounting for about 70% of country’s urban population, said a Ministry of Urban Development release.
PM Modi will also inaugurate ‘Make Your City SMART’ contest aimed at involving citizens in designing roads, junctions, parks etc. Suggestions and designs suggested by the citizens will be duly incorporated by respective smart cities. Winners of this contest will be given rewards in the range of Rs 10,000 to Rs 1,00,000.
Smart Net Portal also will be inaugurated by the Prime Minister which enables the cities under different urban missions to share ideas and source solutions for various issues during the implementation of various missions.
Some of the projects to be launched city-wise are:
- Pune : Slum Rehabilitation of Dr.Balasaheb Ambedkar Vasahat Aundh, Steet and Pedestrian Walkway, Modern Buses with Alternative Fuels, Traffic Demand Modelling Project, City Common Mobility Card.
- Ahmedabad : Sewage Treatment Plant, Irradiation Sludge Hygienation project, housing project, River Front Garden, Common City Payment System, Smart Learning in Municipal Schools, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA) for water supply.
- Bhubaneswar: Railway Multi-modal Hub, Traffic Signalisation Project, Urban Knowledge Centre.
- New Delhi Municipal Council : Mini-sewerage Treatment Plants, 444 Smart Class Rooms, Bio-methanation Plant, WiFi, Smart LED streetlights, City Surveillance, Command and Control Centre.
- Jabalpur: Waste to Energy Project, Sewerage Treatment Plant, Multilevel Car Parking, Multipurpose Smart Card, Sensor based tags for household dustbins.
- Jaipur: Beautification of Ramnivas Garden, 100 MW Rooftop Solar Power Plant, Public Bike Sharing
- Kakinada (Andhra Pradesh): Solar Roof Top Power Plant, distribution of e-rikshaws, e-pathasalas.
- Kochi (Kerala): Pashinithodu canal rejuvenation and refurbishment, St.John Park renovation, MG Road Footpath renovation.
- Belagavi (Karnataka): Natural Gas Distribution Network, Rooftop Solar Plant, GSM based monitoring of solid waste collection vehicles.