In the wake of the Paris attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday, at the 7th BRICS Summit here, asserted that the need for a united global effort to combat terrorism...
In the wake of the Paris attack, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday, at the 7th BRICS Summit here, asserted that the need for a united global effort to combat terrorism is of utmost importance at the moment, and added that this should also be priority for the BRICS nations. Expressing his pleasure over China, a BRICS partner, taking over the presidency of G20 in December 2015, the Prime Minister assured China of full support during its presidency. Here are top 10 things he highlighted that needed urgent attention:
1. “We stand united in strongly condemning the dreadful acts of terrorism in Paris. We express our deepest sympathy and support to Russia for the loss of life in Sinai. Ankara and Beirut are also reminders of terror’s growing spread and impact”.
2. “The entire humanity must stand together as one against terrorism. The need for a united global effort to combat terrorism has never been more urgent. This must also be a priority for BRICS nations”.
3. “There was a time when the logic of the BRICS and its lasting capacity were being questioned, but now they have provided proof of the relevance and value of BRICS through their actions”.
4. “The New Development Bank, the Currency Reserve Arrangement, Strategy for BRICS Economic Cooperation – these are clear evidence of our vision and our resolve. Together, we can also give shape to G20”.
5. “India is honoured to assume the chairmanship of BRICS from 1st February, 2016 and build on the great work done by other members. The theme of India’s BRICS Chairmanship will be ‘Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions’ which, in short, will be ‘BRICS’. It aptly describes the ethos of our group”.
(With inputs by ANI)