India to get right over 65 pct oil Abu Dhabi will store in Mangalore

By: |
New Delhi | Published: February 21, 2018 3:07:42 PM

India will have the right over 65 per cent of 6 million barrels of crude oil that ADNOC will store at the country's maiden strategic storage at Mangalore.

crude oil, india, abu dhabi, imports, exports, Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Ltd , india in select leaue of nationsIndia, which imports over 80 per cent of its oil needs, is among the select league of nations that have built strategic storages to meet emergency needs. (Reuters)

India will have the right over 65 per cent of 6 million barrels of crude oil that Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) will store at the country’s maiden strategic storage at Mangalore. ADNOC will send three large ships carrying crude oil beginning April to fill half of the 1.5 million tonnes strategic oil reserves that India has built at Mangalore, a senior government official said.Out of the crude stored, 35 per cent can be used by ADNOC for commercial purposes, ie trading or selling to refiners whenever it wants. The remaining 65 per cent would be for strategic purpose of meeting India’s oil need during a contingency like supply disruption, he said.

“ADNOC will of course be paid for the oil if India were to draw from the reserves,” he said. Indian Strategic Petroleum Reserves Ltd (ISPRL), a special purpose vehicle created by the government, has built around 39 million barrels (5.33 million tonnes) of strategic crude oil storage at three locations — Padur and Mangalore on the western coast and Visakhapatnam on the eastern coast. Oil stored in the underground rock caverns at the three locations are to be used in an emergency and can meet the country’s needs for 10 days.

India, which imports over 80 per cent of its oil needs, is among the select league of nations that have built strategic storages to meet emergency needs. While the Vishakhapatnam storage of ISPRL has a capacity of 1.33 million tonnes (9.77 million barrels) of crude oil, Padur can stock 2.5 million tonnes (18.37 million barrels). At Mangalore, oil is stored in two compartments with a total storage capacity of 1.5 million tonnes (11 million

Do you know What is Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR), Finance Bill, Fiscal Policy in India, Expenditure Budget, Customs Duty? FE Knowledge Desk explains each of these and more in detail at Financial Express Explained. Also get Live BSE/NSE Stock Prices, latest NAV of Mutual Funds, Best equity funds, Top Gainers, Top Losers on Financial Express. Don’t forget to try our free Income Tax Calculator tool.

Next Stories
1LIVE Uttar Pradesh Investors’ Summit 2018: PM Narendra Modi’s 4P mantra for UP- potential, planning, progress, performance
2Private players expect commercial coal mining to offer operational flexibility
3COAI disappointed over Trai’s predatory pricing norms